Wednesday 29 July 2015

The Elephant Man, with Bradley Cooper

Hello again! I know it has been a while but I have been to see a show in a while and I thought seen as this was a musical theatre blog it would seem silly to just pop in and say hello (maybe I will next time there is a lull in my theatre antics). But, I am back and like buses, you wait ages for one and then three come along at once and this week I am going to see three shows in the West End so a lot of blogging to be had. My first two consisted of a double bill with Ma Beezie (Kayleigh who has been mentioned previously). We had arranged to go see a play and a musical this week and god I am glad we did. Before I get onto the first play we saw, The Elephant Man, I have to tell you briefly about our first day in The Big City. Well we arrived and headed to St James Park as I really wanted to see the pelicans. Well after what seemed like a twenty mile walk and a 20p toilet stop off (ridiculous) we found the pelicans and I was very pleased. They were quite far away but we did see them (however if you want a better look at pelicans go to ZSL London Zoo – see next blog). However I have provided picture evidence of the pelicans. This was followed by a little trip to the V&A Museum. I do like a museum and The V&A is a very grand one. We went to see the section they have on theatre and performance – it was fantastic to see some of the old costumes that were wore in the theatre and some modern ones too. I even tried one on but I am not providing a picture of that as I had the worse double chin ever – a visual illusion I still protest. However as always I have digressed and taken up a huge paragraph of my blog. So The Elephant Man …
 
 

So, on Monday 27th July 2015 I went to see The Elephant Man at the Theatre Royal Haymarket (I love Haymarket and why the hell is it not on the Monopoly board – answers on a postcard please). Well as the blog suggests this is a musical theatre blog and I do love me some musicals. However I do also like the odd play although I do not often go and see them. I would not have seen this play however Ma Beezie wanted to go and her fiancĂ©e bought it as a birthday present for her. So I agreed to go along too and well I was very impressed. The theatre is a gorgeous little theatre – been past it loads of times as its right near Trafalgar Square, the only thing I did not like was the camera police who were crazy and also the Oscar Wilde room which row M (the row we were on) were all allowed in – we never saw the door to this room let alone the inside of it. Anyway following the huge success this play received on Broadway it has come over to The West End. All three main characters received nominations for Tony’s and I hope they are nominated for the 2016 Olivier’s as they definitely deserve it. Bradley Cooper plays John Merrick (aka The Elephant Man). Cooper by far is the best on stage from start to finish and it is completely different from some of his Hollywood performances we are all familiar of. He portrays Merrick in such a caring, innocent and empathic manner and he deserves high recognition for it. It also doesn’t hurt that Cooper starts off the play in his briefs which is worth the ticket cost even if the play was rubbish (which it wasn’t!).  Alessandro Nivola, another famous actor from Hollywood, gives a grand performance and is on stage more than any other character I perceived. He portrays Dr Frederick Treves who helped and cared for Merrick. Again the relationship between Merrick and Treves is compassionate although sometimes overly medicalised but this is a reflection of the times the play was based on. Again with two brilliant actors this relationship was portrayed gorgeously. Patricia Clarkson who played Mrs Kendal also played a smashing part and even had a naked seen (never seen a live naked scene in the theatre and it was somewhat artistically beautiful). The only thing I wish to have seen was some prosthetics on Cooper. Although he played the part of Merrick wonderfully with his body language, limp, immense facial expression and the adaptation of his voice a bit of prosthetics can’t go a miss. However who needs a fake face and head when Cooper delivers the part.
 
 
Unfortunately this production of The Elephant Man only had a 12 week run in The West End and closes on the 8th of August 2015 (The Elephant Man). This is such a shame as I know there will be thousands of people who will not be able to see this fantastic, warming and emotional play. I would love to see this play go on tour around the United Kingdom and even if the three main parts are not played by the three talented actors I saw I still believe with the creative team working hard as they do this could be a successful smash-hit tour. I need to go and see more plays and not focus so much on musicals (but I love them too much). If by chance you are in London and there are spare seats at the Theatre Royal Haymarket get your cash out and go see it – you will not regret it. Right got to write blog #2 now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment