Thursday 3 September 2015

London gets Kinky; Kinky Boots arrives in the West End


Hello all, hope everyone is OK and been going to see some shows too – please share your experiences I’d love to read about them. Well on Tuesday 1st September 2015 I went to visit the West End (again) and this time to see the new London showing of Kinky Boots. I’ll get onto the show in a minute, you know I like some context.  Visited with Me Beez (Kayleigh) again; was great as always. We had a little stroll down Covent Garden, watching the street acts and looking round the quaint (and expensive) little shops; even started me Christmas shopping which was a bonus. Had a nice little relaxing coffee (and diet coke for me Beez) – bloody hell coffee beans are expensive in London; £3.30 for a latte and then to add salt to my wound a ‘discretionary’ 78p service charge - Day light robbery! We also went to café Rouge for tea which I have never been to before and would go again was nice and thank you mama Beez (Mands) for our tea – beautiful. So we arrive at the Adelphi Theatre (Adelphi) which is a nice little theatre, first time I there was this year to see Made in Dagenham (shame that show ended was really good and I still enjoy listening to the soundtrack). Anyway trust us two to get lumbered with a weirdo drunk (and not me this time J). So I shall explain: Me and me Beez are taking each other’s photos with a Kinky Boots poster thingy and this woman storms in front of us and stands behind the poster, looks at me Beez and says “OH, you want to take my photo?” Well I have gone into hysterics and when I turn back Beez is taking her bloody photo. Well I am shocked, but that’s not all, the woman was like “shall I roll my dress up”; well clearly I am like “No … No … not necessary love”, her husband don’t give a shit he’s having a wine at the bar while I get to see this lady’s knickers on two occasions. Seriously! I don’t actually know how to continue with this story so I will leave it. Women! (Jokes!)
 
So let’s get onto the show (London gets Kinky). It is based on the 2005 film of the same name which I have only seen once but is a really good film and worth a watch; often on BBC or I am sure it is available by legal download or just buy it. The book is by Harvey Fierstein and music and lyrics by Cyndi Lauper; we will get onto Lauper but she won (and rightly deserved) the 2013 Tony Award for Best Original Score. I am not going to lie and I am going to be critical – this is what the blog is for; but please if you have seen Kinky Boots please leave your feedback. Firstly I was not aware until researching when I got in from the show that it was first in the USA. It first was produced in Chicago in 2012 before moving to Broadway in 2013. Kinky Boots remains on Broadway and reached its 1000th performance this August so congratulations to the Broadway production. It also won the 2013 Tony award for Best Musical, beating the fabulous show Matilda to the top prize which was quite an upset; especially after the critical reaction Matilda received in the West End. We did see the show after it launched on stage 11 days (including Sundays) previously and it was still in its preview stage. It did take me a few scenes and songs to get me in the mood for the show and initially I was not overly impressed after seeing some really amazing musicals this year; it just felt a little flat to me. Although I have to say the first song (The Most Beautiful Thing in the World) has stuck in my head and I have listened to it a few times on YouTube. It was when I first saw Lola and the Angels that I fell in love with the show; as you may well be aware present me with a group of gorgeous Drag Queens and I am yours (seeing Priscilla Queen of the Desert again on tour in February 2016 so look out for that post). So I did in the end absolutely love the show, the storyline and the songs – all fabulous and worth seeing.
 
As I said the show was in its preview stage and this was sometimes clear. There were a few mistakes which were obvious and some less obvious and I may have actually been mistaken. The reason I mention this is because some of the well-established shows do not have these mistakes; or I have not seen them as they must occur. Little things like not getting the staging connected or up in time, dancers and actors looking or facing the wrong direction and making it clear they were in the wrong position and props and that falling. However it is expected with live shows especially in a preview phase. The staging and lighting were phenomenal and I cannot contest that. The transitions between different scenes were generally flawless (providing staging was moved quickly enough) and the lights during the Lola and Angels songs were to die for and often found myself mesmerised by these and not the acting (I think that’s a good thing – for the lighting). The costumes of the Angles (oh sorry the Angels are the group of Queens) were superb and I want one in each colour; well mainly red and the Union Jack one will be my wedding dress when Mr Right knocks on my door. The leading man and queen were fabulous. Killian Donnelly who plays Charlie has a fab voice and I really enjoy his sound (I have him on the Memphis soundtrack and it’s a beautiful tone); he has also starred in some very famous shows including Les Misėrables, Billy Elliott and Phantom. Lola who is the main drag queen (real name Simon) is portrayed by Matt Henry who really has some sass and attitude and I would definitely make sure he shantayed. He did really well with his draginess and I need some lessons. Lauren is played by Amy Lenox (not sure if there is a relation there) and she honestly has such a powerful voice I was quite gutted she only had one main song – The History of Wrong Guys – it would have been really nice to hear more of her voice. The Angels were gorgeous and it was like an episode of Ru Paul’s Drag Race (this is a compliment!); they really made the show what it is. One Angel played by Marcus Collins (X Factor 2011 runner-up) clearly wanted to be playing Lola and be centre stage and I personally found this off putting – I hope you enjoy your understudy times. But hey; he’s a drag queen. I really need to mention Lauper’s superb score which from reading certain articles she found difficult to write. Well however difficult she found it she really did a grand job with it. It is quite obvious the songs were Lauperised and this is no bad thing, it was fab to have a bit of Disco Diva in there. Particular ones that I have not mentioned yet, but were definitely kinky, include: ‘Take What You Got’, ‘Land of Lola’, ‘Everybody Say Yeah’, ‘Hold Me In Your Heart’ and the finale ‘Raise You Up/Just Be’ all make you wanna dance, cry or laugh. I know there is a Broadway cast album for purchase (Broadway Album); however I think I am going to wait for the West End cast album. One final difficulty of the show was the music seemed so much louder than the singing voices, it was sometimes difficult to hear the lyrics; whether this was my deafness or a production fault I am not sure but I look forward to the album (although you can hear the songs on YouTube). So, although I have been critical (not bitching, constructive criticism) I did love the show and urge you to see it. I hope the West End production carries on like the Broadway production as I will most likely be seeing this show again if it’s still on late next year – tickets sales have been extended to February 2016. This blog just got Kinky!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment