Tuesday 1 March 2016

Toast, UK Tour of Richard Bean's Play

It feels only yesterday we spoke, well it was, haha! I had to do so many miles for one day at work before I was back at the theatre, this time with Nanny Cora. On 29th February 2016 we went to the Norwich Theatre Royal to see the press evening of Toast, a Play by Richard Bean and starring Matthew Kelly, but more about that shortly. It was a rushed night unfortunately but we had some nice takeaway food, I wanted to say meal then but you can’t really call it that. Nanny Cora said the fries were cold; mine were ok but nout special. We had a quiet stroll to the theatre, placed our drinks order and settled in our seats. We always have a laugh me and Nanny Cora; whether about my driving or the people sitting at the adjacent table in the fast food restaurant, the old woman who was appalled by the language in the play or the man that fell asleep in front – so funny! Right I am here to write a blog post and review of Toast not waffle on. You may wonder why a play is featuring in the musical theatre blog; as previously stated I do enjoy plays just don’t often go.


For those of you that have never heard of Toast, including me until a couple of months ago, it is a British play by Richard Bean and tells the story of seven men who work in a bread factory; bread plant as they say in the play. The play spans one night in the staff room of the factory, the relationships of the men, both within and outside of the factory and one or two calamities that occur. The play first premiered in London in 1999; with a revival in Hull (where the play is set) in 2007. It revived again in London in 2014 and later began its 2016 UK tour.  I can see why Toast is not well known, it isn’t exactly the most exciting thing I have seen on stage, yet it was comical in parts. Bean worked in a bread factory many years before writing the play, originally planned to be named Wonderloaf until legality put a stop to that. Bean is a psychology graduate, like yours truly, and worked as a psychologist before becoming a playwright (maybe I will write a West End musical after being a psychologist lol!). I have read Bean talking about a third Act, and I only saw two this evening so I am assuming there has been some changes or did I miss a whole Act (the cast definitely all bowed at the end!).
 
One thing I really enjoyed about the play was some of the themes it tackled. Homophobia in the workplace, which is obviously very important to me features in Toast. I think the play is set in the 1970’s and clearly this was a time when homosexuality was not as accepted as it is now. I have definitely received my fair share of homophobia comments in my time and it is still something that is experienced on a daily basis by many. Obviously being a psychologist, as Bean, the theme of mental health ruminated with me. Again in the 1970’s compared to the present day mental health is so much better understood and treated and you can see in Toast how stigma alienated individuals with mental health problems. Job uncertainty is a theme that cropped up but I don’t think Bean intentionally meant this to be a big factor in the play; however in the 1970’s and factory work this was a dilemma faced by many.
 
The relationships of the men are very important in the play. The relationships they have as friends and foes as colleagues and the ones they have back at home. It’s funny to see how men are at work and men are at home, or how you picture them at home – very different indeed. This featured heavily in Toast and I think without the focus of these relationships the play wouldn’t consist of much. I think there is a difference in the way people viewed their jobs during the decade Toast is set to the present day; in Toast the majority of the workers are very passionate, dedicated and would be lost without their job – I think today this attitude has definitely decreased for many.
 
As previously stated I didn’t find Toast all that exciting, and as Nanny Cora says, it doesn’t have to be exciting, it’s something different and she thoroughly enjoyed it. Although I didn’t expect explosions, car chases and all that excitement you get from an action film a bit more would have been pleasant to see. Lighting designer, Mike Robertson, has done well and the lighting effects do give a bit of tension to the play at parts which was warmly welcomed. Directed by Eleanor Rhode and set design by James Turner, I liked the set and stage design. I thought that a lot of effort had gone into the staff room of the factory, making it as real as possible; you really do feel like you are watching a group of men in a work staff room. Bean was very much aware of the eight member of the cast, as he says; the audience and I honestly did feel a part of the play and connected to some of the characters. Act 2 is by far much better than Act 1; I felt there were a lot of long pauses which were too long and lost the comedic value in act 1. Although not heavily filled with music and song, the sound design, by Max Pappenheim, captured a bread factory and this added to the illusion of the eight cast member Bean wanted. I warn thee now, Toast does feature a full colourful array of the English language from the East Yorkshire accents and phrases to the swearing and the See You Next Tuesday phrase was definitely heard on three occasions. This can be a no no for some people, and I definitely heard some members of the audience sigh and say “it’s just not funny”. I don’t mind a bit of swearing and have certainly used a few phrases in my time but it’s not for everyone.
A cast of seven make up Toast, led here by Matthew Kelly who starred in the 2014 London revival. I have never thought or known of Kelly as an actor, especially on stage. Kelly is an Olivier-award winning actor (portraying Lenny in Of Mice and Men). Kelly’s character of Nellie reminded me of Lenny from Of Mice and Men at points in the play. Kelly is a good actor and plays the role of Nellie well. An old factory worker, dedicated to his job, unsure of social interaction and I would describe him as an emotionally weak man. I was really impressed with Kelly; I always remember him in Stars in Their Eyes – what a great show that was! Simon Greenall plays Cecil, a sexually frustrated man who likes to have a laugh in the factory. I know Greenall from playing Michael in the ‘I’m Alan Partridge’ series and he is probably less well-known for creating the voice of the famous meerkat Aleksandr Orlov on the comparethemarket.com adverts. It was great to see Greenall on the stage after a 20 year break from the stage. He was quite the comedian on stage and definitely had the audience in giggles throughout.
 
Steve Nicholson plays Blakey; the senior worker on the night shift, who is eager for promotion and keeping order at the factory. Nicholson has been in many British TV dramas and is no stranger to the big stage. Again a good well rounded performance I felt. The rest of the cast sees Will Barton as Colin (possibly a closeted homosexual who is in with the management), Kieran Knowles as Dezzie (the youngest factory worker who is eager to keep his sex life fruitful after being at sea), Matt Sutton as Peter (the gobby one who knows everything and has an opinion on each conversation) and finally John Wark as Lance (the new student at the factory on his first day, a little lost some might say).
Toast can currently be seen at Norwich Theatre Royal this week playing until Saturday 5th March at 7:30pm every night (with 2:30pm matinees on Wednesday the 3rd and Saturday 5th March). There are still plenty of seats for all performances so if you fancy seeing Toast pop along to the Theatre Royal in Norwich and see if you enjoy Toast. For those non-East Anglian readers Toast is going to the following places: Bath, Worthing, Guilford, Cambridge and Nottingham. Right after writing about toast I fancy a sandwich so speak to you all soon.
 
 
Remember to get in touch @AaronBurgess89
Thanks! X

No comments:

Post a Comment