Thursday 7 April 2016

Breakfast at Tiffany's UK Tour starring Pixie Lott

I have been to see another play, this time at the beautiful Leeds Grand Theatre, last night (6th April 2016). Breakfast at Tiffany’s which I actually thought was going to be a musical, until about five minutes before it started then I realised it was a play. My companion for the evening was my housemate and very close friend Emma (Notta); she was aware Breakfast at Tiffany’s was a play and confused as to why we were going; we are primarily musical fans of course. A great evening apart from the 40-minute endeavour to find an affordable car park in Leeds; so expensive, however we found one, £6 for 24 hours, bargain! Following a bottle of wine while getting the glad rags on we arrive at The Grand only to be faced with a coughing pandemic and a dog in the seat in front. I think these are personal jokes between me and Emma and if I explain them it will be a waste of my fingers typing and your time reading them as I imagine you won’t find them funny. Basically half of the auditorium were coughing or potentially dying during the play and the woman in front of me appeared to have a stuffed dog as a coat and I thought it was hilarious to pretend to stroke it. Now back to what we are here for a professional and comprehensive review of the touring production of Breakfast at Tiffany’s (don’t laugh).

The play is obviously based on the 1961 film of the same name which in turn is loosely based on Truman Capote’s novella of the same name. Breakfast at Tiffany’s follows the accolades of Holly Golightly, an extroverted young lady in the buzzing place that is New York and gazes over her relationships with men and her partying lifestyle. I felt that Golightly is portrayed more of an uncouth young lady then she is in the film (so others’ tell me). The classic film starring Audrey Hepburn has become such an iconic film for many, myself and Emma not included in this population. Both ashamed of the fact we have not seen the film I cannot really comment on comparisons and differences. However we are rectifying this situation and now have the film on DVD thanks to Emma’s sister. The film won the academy award for Best Score and Best Original Song for Moon River which features in the play (I think this is why I was confused it was going to be a musical). Hepburn also received a nomination for her role as Holly Golightly.
Holly Golightly is played by Pixie Lott in the current touring production and she sings in the play which is great. Her voice, rusty and raw, provides a modern yet respectful take of Moon River and Pixie plays the guitar on stage and we all know how much I love a musical instrument on the stage. Lott’s voice is great as most of us know from her number one singles; ‘Mama Do’, ‘Boys and Girls’ and ‘All about Tonight’. Lott also ain’t such a bad actress, playing Holly as the fun-hungry, life-loving girl that certainly is Golightly. I love the voice of Golightly which Hepburn borned and Lott has taken on. The New Yorker posh lisp as I like to call it is fab and I have tried to copy, darlin’. A further 12 members of the cast join Lott on stage during the night. Nick-named Fred (George Peppard) is played by Matt Barber, well-known for his role as Atticus Aldridge in Downton Abbey. Barber has a great stage presence and played the role of Fred finely, with his longing for Golightly so real and is inability to say how he really feels for her frustrating for us in the audience. His monologues portray this so well.  Two fantastic comedic roles are played by Naomi Cranston as Mag and Andrew Joshi as the famous comedy role of Yunioshi; both giving great performances. The cast work hard each night to bring alive Breakfast at Tiffany’s before your eyes and I always wonder whether they miss any lines or not as there is so much to remember. One final cast member who deserves a mention is Bob the Cat; playing the cat (obviously) – he is quite a famous cat too!
I very much enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany’s, adapted for the stage by Richard Greenberg, however I would describe it as a good play with not a lot going on, if that makes any sense at all. I wonder if the film will also be like this, a great classic everyone has heard of but not a lot actually happens; I can think of a few films like this which I absolutely love. I really do feel Breakfast at Tiffany’s could easily be produced into a musical; with some of the basic song and music already in the play; a Moon River and its reprise – I can hear it on a soundtrack already. I would undoubtedly imagine this concept has been thrown around countless times. Nikolai Foster directs the play and I love Matthew Wright’s set and costume design. Most men are wearing their suits and ties (fair do) and Holly’s wardrobe is great, with beautiful maxi dresses and colours galore. What I particularly enjoyed of Wright’s work was his set design. I absolutely loved how Fred and Holly’s rooms were portrayed as being on different floors and the American scaffolding, as I call it, used in the background and then coming into the lime light as the scene of the bedroom flats disappears into the gods and characters pondering over their thoughts on this scaffolding. Ben Cracknell’s lighting design is also well executed; my favourite part being the illusion that it is raining on stage, which I thought was crafted brilliantly. Many characters talk directly to the audience through their numerous monologues, although other characters appear on stage the lighting also allows focus to one character and multiple characters explaining the same story works really well. Other songs to feature in the play are ‘Hold up My Dying Day’ and the Rodgers and Hammerstein wonder that is ‘People Will Say We’re in Love’ from the amazing Oklahoma! (sound designer Mic Pool).
 
Breakfast at Tiffany’s continues on a UK tour until mid-November 2016, where it finishes at Norwich Theatre Royal, where I will be seeing it again. Pixie Lott tours until 30th June where she then takes up the role as Holly Golightly at the Theatre Royal Haymarket where Breakfast at Tiffany’s arrives in the West End.  Cities you can see Pixie include Birmingham, Dublin, Plymouth and Southampton. Emily Atack and Georgia Foote take on the classic role at remaining cities including Edinburgh, Glasgow, Nottingham, Aberdeen, Sheffield, Belfast and Cardiff. As I have said Breakfast at Tiffany’s is a grand play but not a lot happens but still worth a watch. Pixie Lott is definitely worth seeing in something different to what we usually see and expect of her and I look forward to seeing Georgia Foote playing the role in Norwich
 
 
Thanks everyone and please get in touch, it would be great to hear from you @AaronBurgess89

No comments:

Post a Comment