Monday 30 May 2016

Mrs Henderson Presents at the Noel Coward Theatre, London


Another wonderful trip to London’s West End with Nanny Cora to see the new musical Mrs Henderson Presents on Friday 27th May 2016. Such a lovely sunny day, sweltering in the car, we finally arrived at Cockfosters, a change to the usual routine this time to save poor Nanny Cora having to change on the underground. But she did well, travelled all round Leicester Square, having an Italian garlic-heavy meal with a wine and a vodka; can’t beat it! The usual silliness of a grandmother and her grandson were ensued, although we obviously acted very middle class when under the watchful eye of society. A fabulous day one must admit. Mrs Henderson Presents is based on the 2005 British comedy of the same name starring Dame Judi Dench and the late but great Bob Hoskins. The film itself is based on the true story of Laura Henderson and the Windmill Theatre in London. During the horrific World War II the Windmill never closed, entertaining the troops when they were back and positively preparing them for their next battle; as we all know what best way to entertain and cheer up a group of folk but a trip to the theatre. I do not know much about the true Mrs Henderson nor had me or Nanny Cora seen the film but I had heard of this wonderful little musical, heard two of the songs on the radio, saw the poster with feather boas and after seeing a scene on the 2016 Olivier Awards I had to see it.

The storyline of the musical focuses on Mrs H herself and her struggle with putting on a variety show in London. When the bill for the costumes comes in the only idea she can think of is to get rid of the costumes; that’s one way to lower outgoings, I don’t think my manager at work would be too pleased if I rocked up in the nude. With mini story lines and character debacles throughout, Act Two sees the beginning of World War Two and the danger this placed on those entertainers and theatre owners and the audiences in them. I felt the musical was naturally funny, no forced jokes or obvious punch lines, but charmingly warm, emotional yet powerful. The show is at the Noel Coward Theatre, a first visit there for me. The Noel Coward Theatre, named after the flamboyant playwright himself, is a tiny theatre with no more than 872 seats over four levels. I was surprised at the size and a somewhat small stage compared to some of the West End stages, nonetheless a beautiful theatre with sparkling interior.
Mrs Henderson is played by Olivier Award winning Tracie Bennett (for Hairspray and She Loves Me winning Best Supporting Role awards), who received her first Best Actress in a Musical nomination this year at the ceremony, losing to none other than Imelda Staunton for her portrayal of Rose in Gypsy. However, after seeing the show I agree it was a tough call to make for those judges, Bennett is fantastic and stole the show for me, especially after her number ‘Whatever Time I Have’. Bennett is well known to the TV screen and the stage, however I know her from her drunken state in Scott and Bailey. Bennett at the age of 54 plays an older lady amazingly, and I mean that as a whole hearted compliment. Her stage presence as the older lady is so real, her rustic singing voice is phenomenal and I just loved her; I couldn’t stop looking and smiling at her whenever she was on stage. And when Mrs Henderson comes to life she can jiggle and dance over the stage as if she was one of her girls. Bennett is wonderful and steals the show.

Olivier nominated Emma Williams, nominated also for Best Supporting Actress in a Musical at this year’s Olivier Awards, losing to Lara Pulver for her role as Louise in Gypsy, plays Maureen. Maureen starts out as a tea lady and soon becomes the star of the show. Maureen is also the love interest of the handyman and in Act Two has some serious thinking to do. Williams has a beautiful voice and it really does just resonate with you. I remember seeing her last year at the Rodgers and Hammerstein tribute at the Theatre Royal Dury Lane and her voice then was amazing there. I knew she was in Mrs Henderson Presents and I think this was what made me want to see the show. Williams’s main song, ‘If Mountains Were Easy to Climb’ is awesome, I saw it at the Olivier’s and it’s fantastic, especially with Bennett joining in at the end of the song. I have found Williams on YouTube singing it and have listened to it approximately 12 times already (bearing in mind I am writing this just 16 hours after seeing the show). Williams has a risky role within the musical and is actually fully nude on stage. When I say fully naked I don’t mean her lady parts are surreptitiously hidden from the audience member’s eyes, I mean she is stark bollock naked (well not bollock but you get the drift) on stage. What a crazy job, I get arrested when I try to remove my clothes in a bar. It must be exhilarating for her to do this night in night out. I give her full respect and for the other girls who do this on stage alongside Williams (Kate Bernstein as Peggy, Lizzy Connolly as Doris and Lauren Hood as Vera as well as some other members of the ensemble).
Another cast member I and Nanny Cora adored was the camp choreographer of the Windmill, Bertie played in this production by Samuel Holmes. With Mrs Henderson Presents it is not just the ladies who bare all on stage, some of the male cast members also bare a little bottom, and Holmes is not afraid to show his off to the audience members every night. Reading this back Mrs Henderson Presents just sounds like an exhibitionist musical, it is not, far from it, it’s a delightful show, just with a bit of nudity. But it is important the show has nudity to be respectful and honest to the story it is based upon. Holmes is funny, got the moves and a good singer; I really enjoyed watching him on stage. Ian Bartholomew plays Vivian Van Dam (the theatre manager not a drag queen) with Arthur in this performance played by Alexander Delamere. The cast are really great and put so much effort from curtain up to curtain down it is a great show. I was up giving them all a standing ovation and I was surprised not more of the audience were, maybe it is the etiquette of the Noel Coward Theatre to sit down but I wanted to pay my theatrical appreciation to the cast and orchestra.
Terry Johnson writes the book and directs Mrs Henderson Presents, with music by George Fenton and Simon Chamberlain with the amazing and talented Don Black (one of my favourite lyricists ever) writing the lyrics to this theatrical, sincere, emotional comedic musical. The original score (I do not know why Olivier do not offer this as an award, Best New Score as the Tony’s do) is amazing, it really is great, and I will be buying mine on Tuesday (payday). My two favourite songs have already been mentioned (‘If Mountains Were Easy to Climb’ and ‘Whatever Time I have’) yet the others that I loved include the title song, ‘We’ll Never Close’, ‘Everybody Loves the Windmill’ and ‘Ordinary Girl’; I really want the soundtrack now to listen again. Cannot wait for a long journey to listen to it from start to finish; it’s one of those soundtracks I will be playing over and over again.
Andrew Wright choreographs Mrs Henderson Presents and this is great. It is not just the dance sequences that are great; it is also a lot of the still moments that are fantastic, especially when it comes to the naked arrangements on stage. This is beautiful to see and received a round of applause from the audience at the sight of some of those beauties on stage. Tim Shortall creates a fantastic set. It begins as the back of the stage looking out into the audience, from where I was sitting it was sort of like a reflection. The set really captures what it must be like to work at a theatre, behind the curtain, awaiting audience reactions, congratulating stars, tidying up and maintaining one of the most important things in British culture, the theatre. The transformation from back to front of stage is seamless and beautiful. Paul Wills is in charge of costumes, or lack of them in some cases. Generally costumes are expected to be, but it is the lack of the costumes that makes Mrs Henderson Presents a stand out musical (as you could quite guess).  Although when the feather fans arrive to cover up some of those lady bits, it just adds another layer of glamour and decadence for me.

Mrs Henderson Presents is on a limited run at the Noel Coward and is closing on 17th June 2016, with no extension of booking dates despite it being a great musical with mostly positive reviews. From its run at the Theatre Royal in Bath during 2015 to a West End transfer this February Mrs Henderson Presents has entertained many and I can imagine would be able to entertain a lot more. I do hope this musical is revived in the West End or goes on a UK tour. It really is something different and new, albeit based on the true life and a film. Who dare be the next Maureen and other girls, as well as the majority of the cast to bare all on stage and continue the legacy of this niche market of entertainment.


No comments:

Post a Comment