Tuesday 13 June 2017

The Play That Goes Wrong on UK Tour


Got to see my Beez last night which was just what I really needed. We of course were off to the Norwich Theatre Royal to see a play. I know a play who of thought it, a musical theatre addict going to see a play, no music (well Duran Duran were featured) but I do like a serious play haha. Anyway more on The Play That Goes Wrong shortly. We went to a little French Restaurant known as CafĂ© with a colour (necessarily disguised for advertising reasons) where I had Demi Poulet pour Frites which translates to chicken and chips, basically a dirty takeaway for me. It was so so nice to catch up and have a laugh before going to the theatre, and of course we were nearly late as per usual. I am super anxious when it comes to lateness at the theatre but we arrived just in time for the curtain up although it had already gone up. – Oops!
The Play That Goes Wrong, by Henry Lewis, Jonathan Sayer and Henry Shields, is a comedy that won the 2015 Olivier award for Best New Comedy. Well I completely understand why it won. This play is very funny. Proper British slapstick comedy which reminded me of the likes of Rowan Atkinson’s Mr Bean, Laurel and Hardy, Monty Python and the other well-known classics. Although I was not laughing from start to finish I had some proper LOL moments and giggled throughout. People could not stop laughing and at certain hilarious points I could not hear the subsequent lines of those on stage through the laughter in the auditorium. My favourite bit was quite possibly when a description was read by one of the actor’s: “Sobs!” – can’t stop laughing 24 hours later. The play takes the longest running production of the West End, The Mousetrap, or a similar story, which is produced by a fictitious drama group. The play, as the title suggests, goes wrong and not just wrong, immensely wrong. From start to finish it goes wrong and boy do I mean it goes wrong. From the wrong lines, the wrong props, missing actors, bad actors, props falling, set collapsing and actors being knocked out, it pretty much goes to plan. I wonder if this happens to the well-established likes of Judi Dench and Maggie Smith.
Following a successful run in the West End and continuing to win awards over the pond (Broadway) The Play That Goes Wrong is also enjoying a successful second UK tour. The show is still running in both Broadway and the West End at the Duchess Theatre. This show is perfect for those of you who need a good laugh with the terrible climate we are all living in at the moment. You will laugh throughout I guarantee. I still say it must be so hard to purposefully get things wrong all night, but then again for those on stage (and of course off stage) they are getting it right according to the script. However, I doubt we as an audience would even know if anything does actually go wrong. At some points I was covering my face and shouting out as I was thinking is this supposed to happen, poor person on stage. Put it this way I really got involved.

The small cast are all extremely funny. I do have to admit I think some parts of the show are just there for obvious humour reasons but the majority of the show had me in honest stitches, with my loud yelp of a laugh at points (which is a good thing). Katie Bernstein is the stage manager who has to become Florence for part of the play. She is most funny when it comes to act 2 when she is more on stage that off stage. Adam Byron plays Robert who in turn is Thomas Colleymoore. Very funny character and actor and at one point I thought he was going to fall off the set; my heart was in my mouth. Jason Callender plays Jonathan who is the dead Charles Haversham (well supposed to be). My Beez thought he was fantastic and he was very funny trying to play dead on stage if it wasn’t for his useless co-stars. Edward Howells plays Dennis (who is Perkins the butler) and I thought his inept way of pronouncing words was very well crafted comedy. Alastair Kirton plays Max who is Cecil. The camp guy, we loved Alastair. The difficulties he faced kissing his female colleague and being overwhelmed by the audience, I can very much see myself being like that if I ever pull my finger out and join an amateur dramatic society.
Meg Mortell plays Sandra who is the original Florence in act one and returns midway through act 2. The battle between the limelight, being trapped in a clock and over acting were all highlights for me.  Graeme Rooney plays Trevor the tech guy off stage although he features enough on stage and even gets a turn at playing Florence (a well sort out part I hear you cry). The only thing I would change would be to give him a red dress but as I understand there was only one available. Patrick Warner plays Chris, the society director and playing the detective in their production. A worthy comedy actor on stage and I liked his introductions to both acts, very much set the comedic scene for me. It is difficult to say specific funny bits for each character as they were all super funny.
Mark Bell directs this fantastic and hilarious play. Nigel Hook is set designer and this is no ordinary set (who has just won the Tony Award this year for Best Set Design for the Broadway production). To design something to fail must have been no easy planning phase. I am sure set designers do not wake up and think, how can we make this set fall apart. Well he has done an excellent job and that set, it does not work. Well it does for us, just not in the intended way. The props on stage and the coordination for where they are and who is propping them back up were planned to the pin point. I was looking for a choreographer in the programme as it just felt so organised and like a dance. Very impressed. Ric Mountjoy oversees Lighting and costumes were designed by Roberto Surace.
The Play That Goes Wrong is a really funny night out for all the family. I was very impressed with how the play can create such comedy without using swearing or crudeness. I spoke with Judy Foster, from the Theatre’s communications team, during the interval and we discussed how many new comedies both on stage and screen rely on this approach to gain a few laughs. The classic comedy of this play relies on old style humour and it works so well. If you’re feeling down or low, stressed at work, too much going on in our busy lives, try and get to see this play. From the Norwich Theatre Royal, the show visits Birmingham, Dublin, Nottingham, Southampton, Malvern, Plymouth and ending in Canterbury and is booking in the West End until February 2018. The show is not sold out this week although tickets are extremely limited for all shows, nightly from 7:30pm, with matiness Wednesday and Saturday at 2:30pm. I would book quickly to avoid missing out. Please get in touch I would love to hear what you guys think of this show, I am on twitter @AaronBurgess89. Until next time, I think I am off to see Fantastic Mr Fox next week, take care.


No comments:

Post a Comment