Thursday 22 October 2015

Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, UK Tour

Hello for the third time this week (it’s still week beginning 12th October 2015 I just haven’t had time to write my posts). Well after a really great day with me Nanny Cora, not getting in from London till about 1am, we are up the next day (17th October 2015) and by 11am we are on the road again, this time to go and see the touring production of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels at the Norwich Theatre Royal. I love the Theatre Royal in Norwich, it has so many touring musicals and plays and its lovely that people can see these performances right on their doorstep (or a small drive across Suffolk/Norfolk). No calamities this time; Nanny Cora drove us there and back so I could enjoy yet another Pinot Grigio; it’s the theatre one must. I had to park and what with the lead up to Christmas (ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!) and it being a Saturday in Norwich it was chock-a-block, a nightmare, the three main car parks were full up and I had nowhere to go. Me being a wonderful grandson I had dropped Nan off at the pub and I went round looking for a space. I went close to the theatre, due to Cora’s walking – although she managed it in London well done Nan! – So I finally found a little disabled space and boy did I jump in that (well drive carefully); Cora’s got one of those blue badges so it’s fine. I then go and meet her at, wait for it, wait for it, Weatherspoon’s for our lunch – we can’t be posh two days running; beer and a burger is fine with me. Cheap and cheerful, can’t go wrong. While I was parking Cora had made friends with bloody half the restaurant; getting ladies to go and buy her drinks and saying bye to the old granny that tried to look 30; she is popular our Cora. So we finish our food and drinks and head on up to the Theatre Royal. Not a long walk but it does involve a steep bit but we took our time; no need to rush; the performance can wait for us.

 
I don’t need to describe the décor of the Theatre Royal, I am sure I have told you all that in a previous blog. I will get straight onto the musical. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels – well I have to say I was pleasantly impressed with this show. Me, nor Cora, had seen this musical before and knew nothing about it or the film that form its basis. We knew people that said it wasn’t as good as the film (famously starring Michael Caine) and saying the musical was not as funny. I think it’s great to go and see a musical for the first time and having no knowledge of what it’s about. We definitely benefited from this; we loved it. The show is based on the 1988 film of the same name. Spoiler Alert if you are going to see it and know nothing about it skip to paragraph three please; you deserve to experience it how we did. However for those that want to know or those that have already seen the show/film it is about two con men that set about scamming women for money. The musical premiered in the USA in 2004; moving to Broadway in 2005 playing just over 600 shows. The musical has had many American national tours and international performances however it did not reach the West End until 2014; previewing in late 2013 out of London. The original cast included Robert Lindsay as Lawrence and Rufus Hound as Freddy; I bet those two were bloody hilarious in it. The original Broadway production was nominated for 11 Tony’s (2005), winning one for Leading Actor in a Musical (Norbert Leo Butz for his role as Freddy). The original London production was only nominated for two Olivier’s this year, Choreographer and Actress in Supporting Role; losing out on both. This year at the Olivier’s there was stiff competition and I guess this is why it did not do well.

 
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels on tour is really funny. I mean some of the comedy is predictable but it generally is a funny show. The performance we saw had Kevin Stephen-Jones (understudy) playing Freddy; he wasn’t bad but definitely didn’t steal the show (I would have like to of seen Michael Praed in the leading part as he has been in a lot). Freddy was played by Noel Sullivan who is known for his time in the band Hear ‘Say. He was bloody brilliant! He had a lovely voice and he could genuinely act; plus he made the role of Freddy hilarious and I was laughing out loud throughout; especially during the scenes as Ruprecht. Andre is portrayed by Gary Wilmot; another guy that can make the audience laugh and apparently he is famous for something I am not aware of, Cora informed me. Geraldine Fitzgerald played Muriel and apart from her bingo wings during one of the dancing scenes she was also very good. The role of Christine is played by Carley Stenson who is best known for playing Steph Cunningham in Hollyoaks. She again had a really beautiful and powerful voice and plays a funny character with some big surprises. One part of the show that was really funny, and not actually supposed to happen, was the song ‘Love is my Legs’; well Sullivan and Stenson couldn’t keep their cool and totally lost their professionalism. I do not judge them at all; it really was a funny scene and they just could not look at each other without laughing. It was really clear they were losing it which made it even funnier, one point Sullivan looked at the audience and mouthed ‘sorry’. HAHAHA thinking about it makes me chuckle; its fine guys it made the show unique and I love it when a live actor has a giggle on stage. It showed how funny the show was. I also need to mention how much I admire Noel Sullivan; definitely not letting fame go to his head. He was out in the foyer as the show finished, flogging his CD, and Nanny Cora asked him to sign my programme he did this so nicely and had a chat with her. “Nice genuine guy” Cora said. My favourite part of the show has to be ‘Oklahoma?’ which is sung by Jolene, portrayed by Phoebe Coupe. Unfortunately this character is only in Act one and therefore Coupe becomes part of the ensemble after Jolene’s exit. It is such a shame as she was so funny in the show, proper psychotic southern American, and had a really nice singing voice even if it was with the accent; hands down favourite song of the show.
 
I think I liked the musical so much because, in my eyes, it was original. It is a shame it did not last long in the West End however gypsy had to take over the Savoy (and boy am I glad it did; refer back to previous posts please). The show incorporates humour, beautiful dressy costumes and a decent original score. The book is by Jeffrey Lane with music and lyrics by David Yazbek; the songs are very different and allow the cast to show off their talents which is great. Certain songs take on a funny side yet other songs do have a serious tone behind them and show passion and love. Jerry Mitchell directed and choreographed the production and the dances are wonderful. Although a quite modern musical it did have some really old fashioned dance routines which is something Cora likes to see in a musical and was superb. In some ways it reflected aspects of Top Hat Scenery and dance routines. The set was pretty basic but portrayed what was necessary. Costumes in the show are great and they vary with the characters, so well done Peter McKintosh! The ensemble are so active and on the stage for a considerable amount of time so I wish I could mention them all yet haven’t got the finger energy to write their names separately – ask me to photocopy the programme and I will send it out. That’s about it I think, really worth seeing, especially if you have no idea of what to expect. It is full of laughter and was the best musical of the weekend by far. It also has that emotional side, but not for very long. The tour is running until the end of November, so there isn’t long to see it – Woking, Wimbledon, Southend and Southampton. Performances at Southampton will see Mark Benton playing the role of Andre which will be hilarious. He is a very, very funny guy, I saw him play the role of Edna Turnblad on the tour of Hairspray (unfortunately prior to the start of this blog); but he was great in it and I don’t doubt he will do this role and show the same amount of hilarity he did for hairspray. So go and see it and be a bit rotten yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment