Wednesday 11 November 2015

Handbagged @ Norwich Theatre Royal

Hello everyone and hope all is well. A surprise visit cropped up last night (10th November 2015) to The Norwich Theatre Royal to see ‘Handbagged’; and I definitely wasn’t turning that down. I invited Nanny Cora with me of course so I had to dash from work Tuesday afternoon, get to Norwich and meet her. She decided to get the bus which I was dubious about for obvious reasons. I met her in Norwich and we had a quick tea in a very well-known fast food McRestaurant which filled a hole prior to the stroll to the Royal. I have said it before but to any new readers Norwich Theatre Royal is attracting some great touring performances and I have word that these great performances will be continuing into 2016 (great news!). As the title of the blog suggests I am a musical theatre fan however I do not look down on a musical that does not have any singing or dancing, i.e. a play. I have written previously about plays and I really enjoy them. My theatrical philosophy on this is that the musical and the play offer audiences something very different, yet pulls at the same artistic heart strings as theatre-goers have. I will always prefer a musical as I love to sing and dance, not well I hear those who know me shout,  however I am becoming a bigger fan of plays the more I see and I may have to take the word ‘musical’ out of the title of my blog if this continues. So we went to see Handbagged and I was super impressed I have to say; Handbagged won the 2014 Olivier award for Outstanding Achievement in an Affiliate Theatre. I have heard on the grapevine that Handbagged has been receiving great reviews from those in musical theatre so this programmed my mind and the play had to live up to my now positive preconceptions. And, it did!


For those of you who have not heard about Handbagged before I will provide a simplistic synopsis. Based on the lives of Margaret Thatcher while in post as Prime Minister and the weekly meetings she had with Queen Elizabeth II, Handbagged is a laugh a minute satirical play. The play adopts a mix of styles and approaches to theatre which complimented each other throughout the whole performance. There are elements of flashbacks, with lesser important (apologies) characters also acting as narrators and talking to the audience, as well as The Iron Lady and The Queen too. I like the breaking of the fourth wall, or as some call an actor aside; meaning the actors are talking directly to the audience. Thatcher and The Queen are portrayed both at different ages and times in their lives; once when Thatcher is in post and the other when she is out of post looking back on her time and Elizabeth at these times. Initially this was confusing for me; I almost thought young Queen was nervous and seeking reassurance from Old Queen when making eye contact with each other. I actually loved this way of portraying the Queen and Thatcher, for me it made them feel real and genuine. This approach allowed both characters to have vulnerable sides and look back on their time together and dispute what they may or may not have said and comment on their past actions. I am not going to dwell further on this as you should see the play for yourselves and make your own minds up
 
Moira Buffini is the British playwright who is the brains and talent behind this brilliant play. Indhu Rubasingham directed the play with Richard Kent as the designer. The show originated as a one act play (and I think Queen Elizabeth the II wished it still was). The staging is very minimalist however when Oliver Fenwick (lighting designer) kicks his talent into the play the background lights up which represented true Britain. Randomly there was a song or two if I remember quite rightly and this may be why a lot of musical theatre fans have warmed humbly to Handbagged (thanks Carolyn Downing, sound designer). I think this play does sell itself to those individuals who were interested in politics during the Thatcher reign or those that had a vote. Any royalist will also have a great time when watching Handbagged; highlighting alongside the satire and hilarity some of the serious moral issues and complications both queen Elizabeth II and Thatcher faced in the 1980’s. I think if I didn’t have an interest in politics or was a big royalist I may not have enjoyed the show as much, plus the A-level in politics and government helps out. I would suggest if one did not have an understanding of this time period one might not laugh as much as one would hope. One.  
For me the star of the show was definitely Susie Blake who portrayed Q (older Queen Elizabeth II). Blake is a well-known British actress who has warmed the hearts of many viewers with her portrayals in Corrie, Mrs Brown Boys, Victoria Wood and much more, even starring in Wicked in the West End. For me Blake stole the show with her quick wit which had the audience in stitches. Her acting was also impeccable; she really was able to portray the Queen and I am sure if Blake puts on the costume and does the Christmas Speech for 2015 no one will know. Young queen or Liz was portrayed by Emma Handy who also gave a really top notch performance. Kate Fahy played T or older Thatcher and her attention to acting detail really made her performance stand out, from the walk to the hand twitch she really had the Iron Lady fully on stage. Young Thatcher or Mags is played by Sanchia McCormack and I have nothing to say but ace acting and what a voice. All four actresses really suited to sharing the stage even though only two people were being portrayed at any one time, artistically crazy! It was clear that Blake and Handy as well as Fahy and McCormack are playing the same character. I think to be able to do this demonstrates some pretty excellent acting skills and just shows how fantastic the creative team worked on Handbagged to make it what it is. Actor 1 (Asif Kahn) and Actor 2 (Richard Teverson) play various roles (about ten each, maybe more) throughout the performance of those people who Thatcher and the Queen came into contact with over the years. Although sometimes I thought they took the attention away from the ladies (and I suspect intentionally) I thought they really performed all parts well; and Mags and Liz soon put them in their place. It definitely shows some talent to flit between characters on stage; plus the bit of cross dressing had me at Handbag! I will comment on voice acting and accents before I leave you in peace. All six performers (such a small cast) had the most fantastic accents, particularly the ladies. They really portrayed Thatcher’s voice and intonation as did those playing Liz and Q. A post royal accent to a non-Grantham middle class Oxford accent, even Thatcher’s booming voice was there. I hope I have sold this show and you go and see it; I don’t want to give any more away as it really is a great show. The play is whole heartedly a comedy and it really does get the audience laughing and giggling, as I was leaving the theatre everyone was commenting on how good it was and how much they enjoyed it. Handbagged definitely deserved a standing ovation even thought they didn’t get one (I was standing up in my head). Handbagged is at the Theatre Royal, Norwich until Saturday 14th November before going to Cheltenham, Richmond and Bath, presented by Tricycle Theatre. I do hope you get to see it and if you don’t I hope the team decide to continue the tour or do another one soon. It really is a right ol’ political-laughing, royal-loving, Handbaggin’ night!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment