Tuesday 17 November 2015

Cats at The London Palladium

Hello. Sorry for the delay, I went to The London Palladium on Saturday 14th November 2015 to see Cats. Was a lovely day, filled with laughter and memories (get the link!). I would just like to say that after the events that happened in Paris through the night on Friday my thoughts and sentiments go out to all those who lost someone in those horrific attacks; Libertė, Égalitė, Fraternitė. I went to London with Ma Beez and the usual giggles and childishness played out through the journey there. No point sharing as no one else will find this funny but we certainly did. Arriving promptly in London and heading straight to the Slug and Lettuce off Regent Street for a slap up meal and a vino. We meet Ma Beez’s family (Mands, Nige, Jules and Di) and it was lovely to catch up with them. It was only then a short walk over the road to The Palladium – I never knew how close The Palladium was to Oxford Street haha! I am sure I got a taxi there once when I was super close. I love The Palladium – I think it’s because it’s on the TV so much that when I am there I think I’m on the TV. This was only the second time I have been to The Palladium, the first being last Christmas to see Cats; starring Nicole Scherzinger– AMAZEBALLS! Today (well few days ago) was actually the fifth time I have seen Cats live, plus the countless times I have watched the recorded performance on DVD; the first was when I was eight and Nanny Cora took me to The New London Theatre to see it – I can remember it, even though a little patchy. I may have said this before but this was the day I started to love musical theatre and this is why I believe Cats holds such a loveable and sentimental memory for me. I then saw the show twice on its most recent UK Tour, once in Leeds with my close friend and housemate Emma and again at The Norwich Theatre Royal with Nanny Cora (who also joined me for the fourth time I saw cats live with Scherzinger). Now I was attending for the fifth time and as you can most probably guess Cats is my favourite musical!

 
Since returning to The West End following its 21 year run (from 1981-2002) for the original production and the tours since, there have been a few changes to the show. And unfortunately being an old-fashioned bore with few modern appreciations I am not a fan of these changes. Firstly the change of Rum Tum Tugger from a sexy Elvis-like character with the mane and suave attitude he has become a rapper; and the song, for me, does not work with the rest of the show, bring back Tugger. “Growltiger’s Last Stand” has also had some significant changes with the Ballad of Billy McCaw being cut and the music going to a swingy-jazz style; again I prefer the original version of this song. I think there have also been some changes to the music composition in the Jellicle Ball scene; I think. This being one of my favourite songs of the whole performance I was slightly disappointed when I realised this. I just don’t see why something that worked well and was clearly loved by many needed to change and be updated. And yes I do know the answer to make Cats more modern; to appeal to a wider audience? I would hazard a guess; however I do honestly feel the original productions, scenes and songs were much better than the new modernised versions. As Gus says himself, “These modern productions are all very well, But there's nothing to equal from what I hear tell, That moment of mystery when I made history”; Cats made history with the original production – no need to modernise it.
 
To say cats is my favourite musical you would not believe so regarding the previous paragraph of this post. I think because it is my absolute favourite I have felt so passionate about these changes. The same reaction would happen if some of my other top 5 (Rocky Horror or Priscilla) changed. I am now going to highlight why the show is my favourite. The music is ultimately gorgeous and Lloyd Webber has simply excelled with his orchestral pieces within Cats and the music he has composed to compliment the collection of poems regarding Cat behaviour in T S Eliot’s ‘Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats’. If People haven’t read the collection it really is a funny and enjoyable read, many of the poems make the lyrics to the songs of Cats. Some of my favourite songs  in Cats are the Prologue (Jellicle Songs for Jellicle Cats – I love the bit where we find out all different types of ‘cal’ cats; which actually had additional material written by Tervor Nunn and Richard Stilgoe). I am a big fan of the songs Demeter and Bombalurina sing (mainly Grizabella and Macavity) – I so want a collection of cats to name them all these fantastical names. Skimbleshanks and Mr Mistoffelees are most probably two of the most well-known songs from Cats and these also form part of my top-Cats song list (no pun intended). I absolutely adore Gus (Asparagus) and Jellylorum who both sing ‘Gus: The Theatre Cat’ and I can actually sing the song word for word which if you know me clearly makes this one of my all-time favourite songs in any context (they also sing ‘Growltiger’s last Stand). I would be shocked if anyone has not heard of memory; the classical song from Cats. Grizabella who sings the song is not part of T S Eliot’s collection and the character was created by Lloyd Webber for Cats and lyrics to Memory were by Trevor Nunn. This song is absolutely gorgeous and so emotional. Beverley Knight portrays Grizabella in this new production of Cats and she was absolutely amazing. Her voice, so powerful and soulful, really gives you goose pimples especially when she hits that note near the end of Memory (reprise), I was shivering.  Knight really shone during the production even though poor Grizabella does not feature for that long in the performance (a rest after her Memphis stint). One problem I did have with Knight was her cackle during the first rendition of Memory – I did not get this and have never seen another Grizabella cackle.
 
The Choreography is phenomenal and I don’t think anyone can doubt or criticise how much effort goes into each performance; the main chorus of cats must be mentally and physically exhausted after dancing like that. Gillian Lynne was the original choreographer for Cats and actually returned for the make-over of the show. Lynne won the 1981 Olivier for Outstanding Achievement of the Year in Musicals for Cats. She also won a special Olivier award at the 2013 ceremony and Cats performed The Jellicle Ball on the night showing off her amazing talent as a choreographer. Bill Deamer was the creator of the Gumble tap dance in The Old Gumbie Cat scene. The lighting is gorgeous and takes a lot of work due to the amount of characters coming out at different times and the old fashioned coloured bulb is beautiful, especially during the more up-beat songs. I feel the lighting immensely reflects the mood on stage and the emotions of the cats; Howard Eaton was the lighting designer originally designed by David Hersey. I have to comment on the fantastic make-up of the actors, they look so good and offer some real feline personality. Designed by John Napier and developed by Karen Dawson I would happily let them make me up into a cat (I think Bill Bailey’s patchy face would suit me!). Trevor Nunn also directed the performance and we are a big fan of Nunn as he is a fellow Suffolkeon.

 
I need to mention Adam Linstead who played Old Deuteronomy; the leader of the Jellicle Cats. This character has a lovely song, ‘The Ad-Dressing of Cats’ which ends the performance. Old Deuteronomy remains on the stage during the interval and you can go and meet him. So of course me and Ma Beez went to queue, pushing past all the kids to get to the front. He was so lovely and signed my programme; the fifth one I now have for Cats J. He asked if I was enjoying myself and I of course said “Yes”, stating it was my fifth time and he suggested I knew the show better than the cast. Of course I naturally agreed with him and offered my services to the show if anyone was sick or ill. He did say that there was a few off sick today hence why I have not mentioned any names within the main body of the post for individual actors in case they actually were not in it – it’s difficult to tell from programme to a face on stage that looks like a cat. However the cast were all fantastic (apart from the new Rum Tum Tugger – sorry the character is supposed to be sexy and confident not a comedian). No in all honesty the cast are fantastic and really put a lot of effort into each performance.
 
I am going to have to finish this post soon it is becoming huge and my longest post yet (size does not matter lol!). If I have forgotten to mention anyone else from the production team or cast I whole heartedly apologise but I am running out of space – let me know and if I feel you deserve a comment I will make additions. Cats is a fantastic show and you have to see it if you never have and why not see it multiple times; I still love it. Even if you prefer the original full performance it is on DVD so you can watch it there; I think people should be aware some major revisions have occurred which may cause surprise. Cats has been translated into 20 different languages and toured all over the world in most continents (maybe all??); currently playing in Australia, France and Japan. The current stint at The Palladium is running until January 2nd 2016 so there is not much time left to see it. The show won the 1981 Olivier for best new musical and has been nominated for two this year (winning neither L); in 1983 winning 7 Tony’s too. So it is a really fantastic show! So until the next time I see Cats live, and who knows where that will be, enjoy yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment