Wednesday 18 January 2017

La Cage Aux Folles, UK Tour


Yesterday myself and my Beez popped to the Norwich Theatre Royal to see the brand new spanking touring production of La Cage Aux Folles. I have been so excited to see this for years and so has me Beez. I have loved the song, ‘I am what I am’ for ages. It is also no secret that I am a fan of drag so an amazing song plus a group of guys with make-up on and wearing sparkly dresses, I was bound to be interested in this musical. There has not been a production in the UK since 2008 which was in the West End and there has never been a UK tour before (thank you Bill Kenwright). I have watched the adaptation of the musical, The Birdcage starring Nathan Lane and Robyn Williams, which is in essence the same story. It was originally based on the French Jean Poiret play of the same name. The story sees gay couple Georges and his partner Albin who is a drag star at their nightclub. Their son, Jean-Michel, meets the love of his life who just happens to be the daughter of the local homophobic politician – great! When the two families are due to meet to bless their child’s marriage, well you can imagine how awkward things become. The 2008 revival in the West End received 7 Olivier nominations, winning Best Musical Revival and Best Actor in a Musical for Douglas Hodge as Albin.

This production stars John Partridge as Albin, Adrian Zmed as Georges and Marti Webb as Jacqueline. Partridge is a wonderful Albin but an even more fabulous Zaza (his drag act). Partridge’s camp, London accent was hilarious and I enjoyed most of his singing (too deep at times). His ad lib during his solo drag interactions with the audience were classic and he had the whole audience laughing away. Put it this way Partridge is a better Zaza than he is Billy Flynn. Star of Broadway, Television and Hollywood, Zmed, plays the role of Georges extremely well; I like to think of him as a man with too many dilemmas in his life that are simply just not worth it. Marti Webb (I am so pleased to have seen musical legend Webb sing on a stage) plays the gay couples sassy restaurant owning friend. The only problem with Webb is that she is not in the show enough with only very brief singing parts, but I was so excited to see her sing and she did not disappoint. Dougie Carter plays the couple’s son, despite being an ignorant character for the most part he has an extremely warm and powerful singing voice, I would be tempted to say that for me he had the best voice of the night. My Beez loved Samson Ajewole as Jacob, the couple’s butler (although he is a maid for the most part). There are seven guys who play Les Cagelles, Zaza’s drag entourage who do a grand job. I have to say I felt like Michelle Visage n an episode of Drag Race, seeing glimpses of Shangela and Alyssa Edwards.
The loveable Harvey Fierstein (Hairspray, Kinky Boots) writes La Cage book with music and lyrics by the amazing Jerry Herman (Hello Dolly). Herman’s score has the awesome hit, ‘I am what I am’ which Partridge makes very emotional at the end of Act 1. The score also includes catchy songs with intricate lyrics including the title song, We are what We are (a version of I am), On my arm, Look over there and the Best of times, with a very beautiful and snazzy finale. These songs do stick in your head, with gay rights song, I am, being something I often sing in the shower or while preparing the Sunday roast. This Production directed and choreographed by Martin Connor and Bill Deamer respectively, La Cage has set and costume design by Gary McCann. I have to say the costumes for the drag characters are absolutely awesome, and I would not turn any of them down once this production comes to its natural finish. They were everything you want, glittery, feathery, wavy, silky, mesmerising. The set was grand and I particularly liked at points how the side of the stage, we could not see was made to be like the stage of the nightclub and we saw backstage on the stage, really effective. Complementing the costumes how can I leave the wigs out, designed by Richard Mawbey. Blonde, rouge, brunette but my favourite were definitely the purple versions – wonderful draggy wonderful.


La Cage Aux Folles is a must see for anyone that is a fan of drag, female impersonation, but also if you are a supporter of a modern way of living and supporting the cause to get rid of old fashioned homophobic views. The musical will make you laugh and it might even make you cry. It will definitely get you singing (if you know the score) and be careful not to be caught by Zaza’s solo drag attack. Partridge has really made this character his own in a great way. The production remains at the Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday 21st January; seats available for all the evening performances with matinees Thursday and Saturday. After Norwich you can catch this production all over the UK, including: Nottingham, Blackpool, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Leeds, Birmingham, Bristol, York, Salford, Wolverhampton, Liverpool, Bradford, Sunderland and Brighton with more dates to be announced. Also coming up at the NTR soon: The witches of Eastwick (Norfolk and Norwich operatic society), Matthew Bourne’s Red Shoes and Thriller Live. Please get in touch and let me know about your musical experiences; remember I am what I am, @AaronBurgess89.  

No comments:

Post a Comment