Saturday 4 February 2017

Norfolk and Norwich Operatic Society presents The Witches of Eastwick

So on Tuesday night myself and Nanny Cora had a little soiree at the Norwich Theatre Royal to see the annual Norfolk and Norwich Operatic Society’s (NNOS) production, this year being The Witches of Eastwick. Now usually I wouldn’t write a review of an amateur production but because the NNOS were so good and it was far from amateur in my eyes I have decided to share my evening with you all, albeit a tad late so I apologise about that; but as they say in Fairy-tale Land, better late than never (they might not actually say that, but, oh well). I am not familiar with the NNOS work, this is the first time I have seen one of their productions but I tell thee now this will definitely not be my last visit to see the NNOS. I am aware they only do their one mayor production at the beginning of each year at the Theatre Royal but I saw in the programme they are doing Monty Python’s Spamalot in May at the Norwich Playhouse so that will be interesting too. I am also not familiar with the musical Witches of Eastwick, I have heard about it of course and heard the odd song but that is all; so this was a night of many firsts for me.
The Witches of Eastwick is firstly based on the 1984 novel by John Updike which later transformed into the 1987 film with a star studied cast of Jack Nicholson, Michelle Pfeiffer, Cher (love Cher) and Susan Sarandon. I have to share a little secret with you all now, I have never seen the film – how embarrassing to admit – so I do not know if it is a musical or just a film. Anyhow all this was transformed into a stage musical in 2000 thanks to the great Cameron Mackintosh. With book and lyrics by John Dempsey and music by Dana Rowe the score is fun but not something that has stayed in my ear like some musicals. Dirty Laundry is a catchy beat and Dance with the Devil was a fun number to watch but apart from that not much else has stuck.
The cast of the NNOS were fabulous and the thing I loved the most (usually with any amateur performance I see) is how much fun you can see every single person on stage having. The time and effort each cast (and crew) member puts into a performance is fantastic and all their personal time given up over the weeks and months beforehand preparing for the show and rehearsing. A huge huge huge round of applause from me to all of them is due. The president of the NNOS, Helen Mcdermott (who I have only just been able to Google who I remember from Anglia TV as a child haha!) is president of this esteemed society and I would love to join (however my singing and dancing are appalling – I am sure there is a musical about a young handsome man who couldn’t sing and dance – I can star in that J).
The three beautiful ladies (I wouldn’t dare call them witches) are played by Claire Chandler portraying Alexandra, Andrea Ferguson as Sukie and Kathryn White as Jane. Chandler is so sassy on stage she was fabulous, she reminded me of someone but I don’t know who. She had a lovely voice and you could tell she liked playing the mumsy one. I fell in love with White’s performance, she reminded me of Sierra Boggess (you should know who she is musical theatre addicts but if you don’t google her – beautiful lady). Nanny Cora loved Ferguson, she was tiny yet powerful, she had some great scenes and funny songs and I think for me she was my favourite character. The devil in disguise, Daryl Van Horne, was played by Terry Boast. I liked Boast’s performance he definitely had great stage presence but I did feel he was trying to be Nicholson (and I haven’t even seen the film lol!). Other characters who stood out for me were definitely Harriet Chambers playing the village busy body (everyone has one), Felicia. Alisha Hart plays the Little Girl, she had a lovely voice and for no fault of her own I didn’t really understand her character though. Joshua Gould played the butler Fidel and he received an amazing reaction from the audience he was so subtly funny was great.
The NNOS put on a really good show and I was so impressed with their professional approach to musical theatre. As I said before I will definitely be visiting this society again, next year they have announced they will be doing Top Hat, another favourite of Nanny Cora’s so I guess I will be taking her there in 2018. The NNOS put so much time and effort into their costumes and staging (I always wondered if they buy new clothes or the actors just wear some of their own, this is why I need to get into amateur dramatics to answer all these unanswered questions). I can tell that they have spent ages planning, rehearsing and that everyone on stage is putting so much effort into their performance. The leading ladies and guys deserve a standing ovation; Nanny Cora said to me you would think this was a touring production and not a group of Norfolk folk on stage (no offence to the Norfolk people I am one of you). TheNNOS and The Witches of Eastwick end their time at the Theatre Royal for another year today with two performances – best of luck to all involved. I cannot wait to come next year and see Top Hat and Spamalot later in the year.

2 comments:

  1. Claire Chandler was professional actress for many years and has been likened to Joan Collins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janet
      Thanks for getting in touch. Amazing to be linked to such a diva, always picture her in the recorded version of Joseph.
      Thanks again
      Aaron :)

      Delete