Monday 14 December 2015

Elf the Musical, Dominion Theatre, London

After the busy day in London and following the spectacle that is Les Misėrables it was back to the hotel for prosecco and bad TV. Waking early on Saturday 5th December we were off to see Elf the Musical in the evening. Before that though there was another day of sightseeing in the Great City. After returning our (Me and Emma) suitcases to Cockfosters, because there was no way I was dragging my suitcase around London all day, we got the tube back to Knightsbridge. I have started a tradition (since Christmas 2013) to buy a Harrods Christmas bauble each year. After eventually finding the Christmas section at Harrods, walking past the most expensive wine glasses I have ever seen in my life and terrified I would walk into something or break an item that would require me to be paying off a debt until I was 68 years old, I was heartbroken and distraught (too dramatic, ok disappointed) to find that Harrods were sold out of 2015 Christmas baubles. I was so upset but we carried on with our day and went to Winter Wonderland in Hyde Park. Emma knows me so well and could tell I was dwelling on my missing bauble, despite the delicious mulled wine, I was thinking of the missing bauble. So we took a break from Winter Wonderland and I bought one on the internet (even though it was treble the price). I have decided to buy bulk next year to make my money back. Once I knew I had gotten the bauble I needed (red as I already have turquoise and green from previous years) it was off to Bella Italia for a pasta tea and a chill out in Leicester Square (and KFC for Emma, lol) before heading to the Dominion to see Elf.
 
 
Elf the Musical runs at The Dominion from October 2015 until early January 2016 (so there is a small chance to still see it if it hasn’t yet sold out – tickets are pricey if you want a good view). I like the Dominion Theatre even though it is huge and possibly the biggest in the West End. I have been to the Dominion twice previously, firstly to see ‘We Will Rock You’ prior to its close and last Christmas to see Irving Berlin’s White Christmas. Funny enough I recognised one of the front of house staff and I think I scared him with my staring; I was trying to work out how I knew him. Once I got home after the drive I worked it out to be someone from Waterloo Road (apologies Leo Flanagan for staring at you).
 
 
I love the film Elf and I, as was Emma, apprehensive about how a stage transformation would look.  As with any transfer from stage to screen, or vice-versa or when books are made into films, plays or musicals changes are always made. This was very much the case with Elf and I appreciate that these changes need to be made to make it slightly different and for efficient production purposes. However this did make Elf the Musical inferior to the film. I did like the musical version don’t get me wrong but it was always going to be a huge accomplishment to meet the standards of the film. Elf the Musical, book by Thomas Meehan and Bob Martin with music by Matthew Sklar and Chad Beguelin writing the lyrics by, tells the same story with minor changes (for example Santa raising Buddy and Buddy reading the list and not Michael) – these changes are important to me and it did affect the production. The musical numbers were average and no song really stuck in my mind following the performance. Two songs I enjoyed were ‘Never Fall in Love (with an Elf)’ and ‘Sparklejollytwinklejingley’; I have not yet, and do not anticipate, buying the cast recording. The costumes were great, being a huge huge huge fan of Christmas anything with glitz, elves outfits and red and green glamour is a winner for me. Me and Emma even joined in with the costumes and wore our finest new Christmas outfits (Emma having a reindeer dress with reindeer accessories) and me with my flashing elfie jumper. The best part of the musical was by far the finale, it was truly wonderful. Santa’s sleigh rode up into the sky and out into the audience, it was fabulous. It reminded me of when I went to see Chitty Chitty Bang Bang when the car comes out and flies into the audience. Well Santa’s sleigh did exactly the same and it was awesome and magical.  Best part and worth the wait and disruptions (see below).
 
Ben Forster plays Buddy the Elf and he was impressive. He suited the comedic role of Buddy learning to live in a human world as a human, not an elf. He reminded me and Emma of myself on a couple of occasions needing attention and wanting to speak when one is not supposed to or it isn’t the right time to speak – I love to talk! Forster transfers to Her Majesty’s Theatre after Elf to play the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera. I believe Forrester will be a high-quality Phantom and it will be fascinating to see him playing a character that could not be further away from Buddy. Kimberley Walsh (Girls Aloud) plays Jovie, Buddy’s love interest. The character Jovie is not in the musical as much as I would have expected nor did she have many singing parts. I understand that this is not Walsh’s decision or in her control but I would have wanted to see more of her and hear her more. Walsh’s main song ‘Never Fall in Love’ was really good and she did have a nice voice. Walsh did not make an impression on me with her other songs and I was disappointed with her acting especially the American accent.

I do have a complaint or an annoyance with The Dominion as they do not police their stalls to ensure people are not talking or disturbing hard working, good paying customers. We had a couple in front of us who were so lustful for one another that they basically were eating each other’s face off during the performance – we did say something and got a dirty look back. Behind us we had the most annoying two people (I deleted the word I previously wrote before editing) I have ever come across in the theatre. We all expect a bit of coughing and rustling of packets (as Santa himself explains) however these two girls were horrendous. They spoke the whole way through, laughed at the wrong bits and heckled the actors – this is a musical not a bleeding live comedy act. I was fuming and my tutting just egged them on. I would urge the Dominion to read this review/post and think of ways to police their auditorium to prevent people like this ruining the show for other people who love and enjoy and more importantly respect the theatre.
 
Elf the Musical ends on 2nd January 2016 and I do not know whether it will return next festive period or will go on a 2016 UK festive tour, as it is currently doing in the USA. The musical is not my favourite however the finale is honestly worth seeing. I will prefer to watch the film Elf over this Christmas period (and maybe if I was not annoyed by so many people around me I may have enjoyed it more). Elf the Musical has not yet received any awards for its productions, nor do I doubt it will receive any. The Broadway production was nominated for a 2011 Drama League Award but did not win.
Aaron Burgess
PS. I am aware that people have been experiencing trouble when trying to comment on the blog. I am working on this. However drop me a message or a tweet on Twitter @AaronBurgess89
 

No comments:

Post a Comment