Friday 18 December 2015

Snow White Panto at Norwich Theatre Royal

Guess what season it is … PANTO! I’m a huge Christmas fan and one of the best things about this festive period is the pantomimes up and down the country entertaining thousands of families. I met ma Beez (Kayleigh) in Norwich and went to the Theatre Royal to see this year’s pantomime – Snow White (17th December 2015). It was fantastic and great fun for al, lots of families were there and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. Snow White contains all the usual pantomime frolics that make you laugh and get involved; I must say audience participation is a must at the Theatre Royal Panto. All of the expected gaffs, innuendos, breaking the fourth wall and good old fashioned slapstick comedy are awaiting audiences to come. The panto sticks mainly to the well-known story of Snow White, with the typical modern day additions any 21st century pantomime is to have, for example a T-rex. Theatre Royal’s Panto is professional with a full cast returning me back to my childhood: going to the Panto at Christmas with the family.


The set design, back drops and stage curtains were amazing and so glittery, it really added to the already festive mood I am in. They were absolutely beautiful and I have to say I have never seen a waterfall onstage before in any musical, play or pantomime in the past, on tour or in the West End and this was awesome. Initially I thought it was a lighting effect but no it was a waterfall (hurrah for Scene Pantomines in Suffolk). My praises go out to Kirsteen Wythe and her team for the costume design and making, all amazing and particularly the Pantomime Dame (Nurse Dorothy Dumpling played by Richard Gauntlett); I think I remember at least seven costume changes. The finale was the best for the costumes, everyone in royal blue it really was a royal wedding on stage. Song choices were hit and miss; some modern songs which I am not familiar with were sung however the younger ones of the audience enjoyed these. The music and lyrics of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s The Sound of Music featured heavily in Snow White also (Sound of Music twice in 5 days – awesome!). I would assume the Panto team decided to use this wonderful music and words due to the 50th anniversary of The Sound of Music and who can blame them for that. I do apologise to anyone who heard me joining in the singing of Do Re Mi, I thought I was signing in my head but actually I was informed it was out loud, ooops!
 
Richard Gauntlett, already mentioned for playing the Panto Dame, writes and directs the Panto (busy man!). For me, Gauntlett was the star of the show even if he did not mean to cast, write and direct himself to be (I would have done the same). He interacts fantastically with the audience and can handle the odd mistake which every Panto star must be able to do. He captured the heart of Norwich which comprehensively features in the Panto and even gets a bit of county rivalry in there. I would have liked to of seen more heels so I will look out for some next year. The other star of the show was one of the little children, their names are not in the programme so I cannot give her a mention but she was so adorable and sweet I was awwwwing every time she came on stage.
 
Bruce Graham plays Igor the Henchman and he reminded me so much of Timothy Spall (that is a compliment); the voice was uncanny. Graham has played some of the top notch West End musicals and his expertise is clear from the onset. Jennifer Ellison stars as the evil Queen Evilynne, I never thought of Ellison playing an evil character, especially after seeing her play Meg Giry in the Hollywood production of The Phantom of the Opera. Ellison plays the role well and was entertaining to see a bit of scouse in the show. David Burlin plays Prince Frederick and for me he had the best singing voice of the cast. His couple of songs were pleasant to the ear (as well as on the eye!). Local Ben Langley plays muddles, the slapstick character which he plays enormously well. At points I felt he was over trying but the on stage relationship and interaction with his on-stage mother, Nurse Dorothy Dumpling, had me in stitches. The best song and scene was with Langley, Gauntlett and Graham singing an alternative version of the 12 days of Christmas and a classic Panto line up (“and a bra that I saw on TV”).

Amie Howes plays the title role for her first professional job since graduating. Howes’ singing voice was not the most desirable I heard during the night and the acting wasn’t much better; but we all have to start somewhere. The Magic Mirror is played by local news reader for Look East, Stewart White (who was sat near me in the circle). This year the dwarfs were puppets which were an interesting and different choice, but it worked well, although I thought we would have seen more of them. Norwich Puppet Theatre sourced the puppets although I would have liked to have seen the typical Dopey and Doc but maybe there was some copyright issue preventing this.

Norwich Theatre Royal’s 2015/6 Pantomime, Snow White, is a must see over this festive period. It has something for all the family and takes adults back to their childhood Pantos. It is currently running until the 17th January 2016. Most days there is at least two showings and some days three (so even your little ones can catch an early showing during the school holidays). It honestly is a fun and interactive pantomime full of entertainment for all.
 
Aaron Burgess
Remember to get in touch at my twitter @AaronBurgess1989 and Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment