Saturday 12 December 2015

The Girls, New Musical by Gary Barlow

I went to Leeds Grand Theatre to see The Girls with my friend and colleague Nicola Pelling on Saturday 28th November 2015. I apologise for my tardiness with this blog; it has been such a busy time lately what with work and Christmas shopping with Mother I have not got round to writing anything – also it has taken this long for the Grand to send me the programme. I do believe that this is the first time the Grand has been mentioned in my blog. I love the Grand situated in the heart of Leeds; so would love to move to Leeds. We arrived early on and went to a lovely hotel (that couldn’t spell the word night properly) in Beeston. We later realised that Beeston is not the nicest area of Leeds and looking back can see why. Two funny events occurred in the hotel, firstly asking for some glasses to have some prosecco in, when given two small plastic cups while looking at a whole tray of glass glasses was annoying. Secondly when walking out of the hotel to get the taxi to Leeds central a man from the neighbouring room should “OI! Loud bastards” I became slightly anxious about my future. After the show we also met a lovely lady called Sylvia and we thank you for helping us get a taxi back to our hotel. Back to the Grand, it’s another local theatre that is getting the best of the UK tours stopping off in Leeds to please the Yorkshire folk. It’s a nice theatre with a beautiful auditorium.


The Girls is a musical with music and lyrics from Gary Barlow. It is based on the true story of the calendar girls who raised money by putting on a very unconventional women’s institute (WI) calendar; them in the nude. The money was raised to buy a sofa for the local hospital visitors’ room where one of the lady’s husbands had died. Tim Frith was part of the creative team with Barlow helping to write the musical. Frith also wrote the film and play of the calendar girls. I went with no preconceptions about this musical, I knew the story of the calendar girls but I did not have any idea regarding songs, staging, story line changes and acting. I was blown over how professional, gorgeous and emotional the production would be. I was laughing throughout and also nearly had a tear which for me to cry at a musical is something (I am usually too excited and psyched about the songs and dancing I am unable to cry). The staging was immense. It was built out of furniture all painted green; wardrobes, chest of drawers, doors, bedside tables, everything. They represented the Yorkshire hills and enabled exit and entrance routes for actors. Due to the set design it enabled a full use of levels by those on stage. With walking through the hills and seeing the whole stage in use was magical.


After such a long wait I cannot believe the programme does not have a song list and I cannot remember all the songs. I did love the songs ‘Dare’ and ‘Yorkshire’ which are pertinent to the storyline but also have some beautiful lyrics and some wonderful music to accompany them. Barlow had sort of cheated on a couple of the songs using the music from his recent album changing the words for the show; they were however still amazing. I was pleasantly surprised by the score and am upset that I cannot buy the soundtrack yet; I do hope this becomes available. You can see Barlow singing these songs on YouTube. Ruth, the main character, is portrayed by Debbie Chazen and her voice is awesome. She also has some emotional turmoil throughout the show and one of her songs is very heart wrenching. Olivier award winner Sara Kestelman plays Jessie who is the ‘more experienced’ one of the characters and 71-year old Kestelman plays a blinder in this. Claire Moore (Miss Saigon and Les Misėrables) plays Chris who is a very funny character and is having some trouble with her teenage son. I felt the audience were able to relate to the characters and women on stage; myself included thinking of the important women in my life. This, I felt, was what made the musical such a success as ordinary folk in the audience can see their mother, daughter, grandmother, sister, friend, whoever on the stage going through their daily trials and tribulations. Cora (a character in the show not nanny Cora) was played by Claire Machin. Claire is comedy gold in The Girls and makes you laugh and cry throughout the show. Her song on the Christmas van is hilarious. I thought I recognised Cora from my seat in the auditorium but shrugged it off as her voice was not what I remembered (this later showed Machin’s phenomenal ability for voice control and accents). I even met Machin on the way out who kindly signed a flyer for me (so gutted I didn’t ask for a picture). I originally saw Machin in Memphis at the Shaftsbury Theatre who was amazing then. It was so nice to meet her but such a shame I did not realise until after the show. It really is a fabulous show to see and has finished its run at The Grand in Leeds, moving to the Lowry in Manchester in early January running just short of two weeks. I have not heard anything about the musical moving to The West End but I think it would make the perfect addition to the calibre of theatre there.  

No comments:

Post a Comment