Wednesday 16 December 2015

Oh What a Beautiful Evening, Rodgers and Hammerstein Special

I went to see BBC Radio 2’s recording of ‘Oh What a Beautiful Evening’ at the Theatre Royal Dury Lane (TRDL) in London on Sunday 13th December. The recording, for the BBC Radio 2 Friday Night is Music Night, which is aired on Friday 18th December 2015 at 8pm. The show was a special dedication to the talented and beautiful works of Richard Rodgers and Oscar Hammerstein; mainly Oklahoma, the King and I, South Pacific, Carousel and of course The Sound of Music (my absolute favourite), with additional dedication as it is The Sound of Music’s 50th anniversary. I have never been to the TRDL which is currently home to Charlie and The Chocolate Factory; which I am planning to see in the New Year. Anneka Rice presented the show from the TRDL with support from Michael Praed. I am so pleased I got to see Praed as I was due to see him on the Dirty Rotten Scoundrels tour however he was not in the show time I saw (which I was gutted about). He is certainly dishy for an older gentleman (55). When recordings have hiccups it makes me giggle; Praed was not having the most luck with his words but he was very funny and made light of it. The production was supported by Capital Voices and the Choir of the Arts Educational School in London. Also present was the BBC London Orchestra (conducted by Larry Blank) and they were absolutely fabulous (and festive) and so talented. I love listening to a live orchestra and these guys are top notch. Such beautiful sounds echoed through the auditorium from their skills and talents – absolutely beautiful. Blank is a well-known composer and conductor and has received three Tony Award nominations. His work includes White Christmas, The Drowsy Chaperone and Catch Me if You Can.


The show had seven singers who performed the well-known songs of Rodgers and Hammerstein, with solos, duets and group songs. All were fantastic and had wonderful voices. Emma Williams opened the show with a gorgeous and spine-tingly rendition of ‘The Sound of Music’. I am a huge fan of this song and Williams did it justice. Her voice is beautiful and so soft. She has currently been starring in Mrs Henderson Presents which she will stay with for its West End transfer (which I will definitely be going to see).  Williams is a gorgeous young lady and her dresses were to die for. I was so surprised to see Tam Mutu there, as he was never advertised to be singing until on the night. I am a big fan of Mutu even though I have never seen him on stage live before. I have to describe Mutu’s looks before his voice, GORGEOUS; and I could tell Anneka Rice was on my wave length too. Mutu has a fantastic voice (a gorgeous guy that can sing – WOW) and his voice suited the love songs of Rodgers and Hammerstein. Mutu has played some well-known parts including Javert (Les Mis) and Phantom (Love Never Dies). I am not sure where Mutu is going next but I hope I see him in it.
 
Married duo, Rosalie Craig and Hadley Fraser, were divine; they even sung a wonderful love song together which melted the hearts of the audience. Craig’s voice is powerful and carried around TRDL with ease. Fraser’s voice is so much softer than I expected, especially with his manly lumberjack beard, however it was still great and he really boomed the end of his lines. Radio 2’s own Clare Teal was in the line-up of singers and brought her individual Big Band style to the adaptations of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s songs. Teal is definitely someone I want to be hanging around with on a weekend (or a weekday for that matter). Teal puts her heart and soul (as well as hand movements) into all of her songs. You can see she absolutely loves what she does and it makes you as audience members love it just as much. John Owen-Jones’ version of You’ll Never Walk Alone will remain in my Musical Memory for some time; it was perfect (apart from his mistake where he had to start again – love it). Talk about goose-pimples, my arm hair was poking my neighbour’s face, it was so warm and emotional I do not know how else to describe his voice and connection with the song and audience. Owen-Jones is known for his portrayals of legendry characters including the Phantom and Jean Valjean; in many productions, recently reprising his role as Phantom before moving back to Les Misėrables on Broadway. Ron Raines was the final singer and I felt he was the best actor on stage. His version of Puzzlement was sang and acted so well it could have been a concert of the King and I; wonderful. Raines has appeared in many musicals, including some of Rodgers and Hammerstein’s own.
 
The final person I have to mention is Dame Julie Andrews. No she wasn’t there (unfortunately) but she recorded such a heartfelt and sincere video for the audience. I am such a Julie Andrews fan it was great to see her talking about one of the best musicals ever to be made. I have actually had to buy the DVD version of The Sound of Music as my video version broke after watching it so many times. The atmosphere at the TRDL was incredible and the applause the whole stage received at the curtain call was unbelievable and I honestly don’t think the singers, choir and orchestra expected it. Although we urged, screamed and shouted for more we did not get it but what we did see was absolutely worth it. Please listen to BBC Radio 2 this Friday (18th December) at 8pm to hear the recording of this special and amazing show.
 
Please contact me on twitter - @AaronBurgess89

No comments:

Post a Comment