Tuesday 13 September 2016

Rocky Horror Show at Norwich Theatre Royal


Last night (12th September 2016) I took my Aunty Wendy to see The Rocky Horror Show at the Norwich Theatre Royal. Mother was supposed to come but couldn’t make it and I knew Aunty Wendy would thrust herself into the spirits of this cult musical. Wendy arrived at my parents’ house and was strapped into her corset; while I was upstairs finishing off my make-up and hoping to god I didn’t fall down the stairs in my 5-inch heels and break my neck. We had so much fun driving to the theatre, getting some funny looks on the dual carriageway by some reserved Norfolk folk was a particular highlight. We arrived in Norwich and walked to the theatre and started to panic; no one else was dressed up. I was now getting nervous despite a rioja to calm the nerves and give me confidence to walk around Norwich in day light in fish net stockings (like I needed the rioja to have an excuse to put some heels on). Well once we were in the theatre we realised there was lots of people dressed up, but not as many as I was expecting. Whether this being a weekday performance or just East Anglia being too cautious I do not know but I certainly had a fabulous evening. I am returning to the theatre on Friday evening to attend another performance of Rocky Horror (which will be my sixth time) with my sister Fern and then we intend to go to the special after party followed by a few bevvies in the city. I will not review this performance on Friday but keep a look out for photos, @AaronBurgess89.
As I have already mentioned I have seen Rocky Horror on a few occasions and reviewed this tour late last year when it was in Brighton. I will of course fully review the show as there have been some cast changes, but I think everyone knows how much I love Rocky Horror and therefore this is automatically a biased view; stick a load of people on stage in corsets, feather boas and heels, get them to sing and dance and make me laugh, well we are definitely onto a winner already. As always the audience participation in Rocky Horror is such fun, although I still need to try and learn some of the more famous audience one liners. I love how we the audience know really what the poor narrator is trying to diplomatically tell us. The audience erupt with laughter each time a witty theatre colleague (or just someone that has been far too much to see Rocky Horror) shouts out a rude comment; and me and Wendy were totally involved in this hilarity. This tour was produced in celebration of the 40th anniversary of the Rocky Horror Show, with a special live recording being broadcast from London recently. I cannot believe this show has lasted 40 years, I remember watching the classic gothic, cult film from a young age and falling in love with the songs, costumes and at that time strange behaviour (which I now participate in). It certainly has entertained thousands if not millions of people in its 40 year reign and I have no doubt it will continue to entertain people for another 40 years (and then I can get my niblings to take me to the show).
I was expecting Diana Vickers to be in the role of Janet (who was great last time); so imagine my delight when I opened the programme to see Haley Flaherty in this role. I am a big fan of Flaherty’s, first seeing her in the role of Miss Honey in Matilda. I think we can safely say these two roles are very different in their presentations and approach and Haley smashes both of them; highlighting her great versatility on the stage. It is fab to have West End stars coming to the Theatre Royal in Norwich and I hope more come in the coming touring productions. Flaherty is a great Janet, her singing voice is phenomenal and I said to Wendy during her songs you don’t realise you’re seeing a touring production. Local Norfolk lad Richard Meek plays the role of Brad and I have not seen him before. Geeky yet sexy, Brad Majors requires an actor with skill to portray this lost soul as I always see him. Wendy loved his singing voice and I was not one to disagree; the song Once in a While, Brad’s solo song, was fantastic and I felt so sorry for little Brad Majors (or not so little the case may be). My other two favourite performances come from Kristian Lavercombe and Sophie Linder-Lee. Lavercombe has performed in Rocky Horror over a thousand times and he has gotten his role as Riff Raff nailed, I would love to see him as Frank. He has performed alongside the creator of Rocky Horror, Richard O’Brien, and I am sure O’Brien loves his own role being played by such a professional. Lavercombe has a wonderful singing voice and his acting as the humped servant is amazingly funny yet honest. Linder-Lee plays Columbia, the funny character of the entourage of the castle. She has some great lines and scenes in the whole show and Linder-Lee presents them on stage as if she has landed her dream job. I loved watching her dance, sing and have the audience in stitches.
Frank N Furter is played by Liam Tamne who I saw in the Brighton stop of this tour. I loved Tamne in the Brighton performance although I was not blown away this time round in Norwich. I am not sure if he is just ready for a new role as he has been playing the iconic transvestite for some time. Do not get me wrong Tamne has a wonderful voice and I have no doubt the audience loved him, but I have seen better Frank’s. Tamne was singing as if he was auditioning, seeming to put too much effort in. I have to admit I loved Steve Punt in the role of the narrator. The narrator has one of if not the most  hardest jobs on the stage during Rocky Horror as this character is usually the one heckled by the audience with funny comments, rude words and you never quite know what will be said by someone in that auditorium. He managed it well and was able to stick to the script, mostly, and keep a straight face. I would be the worst narrator ever as I would just want to laugh the whole time, but Punt brings his experience of comedy and stand up to this role and it works amazingly.  Paul Cattermole (S Club 7) plays Eddie/Dr Scott and the gorgeous and stunningly beautiful Dominic Anderson plays Rocky (who has the best costumes in the show).
Directed by Christopher Luscombe this Rocky Horror production cannot be missed. Whether you are a fan of the show or a newbie to this strange word of Transsexual, Transylvania you will love the songs, costumes and comedy this show brings and I thank Richard O’Brien immensely for bringing this classic to our stage and screen. The set of Rocky Horror always makes me laugh how it starts off like a panto, very fake scenery. I think this is one of its positives and not a criticism. Sue Blane created the costumes and how much fun getting to stick people in corsets, heels and giving them a feather boa to run around on stage with (choreographed of course by Nathan M Wright). Richard Hartley was the original musical arranger and this production sees Tony Castro as music supervisor and Ben Van Tienen as music director. I cannot list all the songs, but I don’t think there is one song I dislike in Rocky Horror. It is an eclectic soundtrack and something for everyone; even if you prefer the slow ballad, the racy sexual song or the fun up beat dancing one you will definitely be up dancing in those aisles and stalls when the Time Warp blasts out.
The current tour is at Norwich until Saturday 17th September with performances at 7:30pm on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and performances at 5:30pm and 8:30pm on the Friday and Saturday. This show is definitely worth seeing; I cannot shout about how much I love it but my sixth time seeing the show this Friday tells you that I love it. There is limited availability for the weekend performances so if you want to see this show at the Theatre Royal, Norwich you need to get your tickets quick. If anyone is going Friday you will see me in my fishnets and wig, come and say hello and have a drink. The show is continuing after Norwich for a brief period and you can catch it at: Eastbourne, Blackpool, Bord Gais Energy Theatre, Birmingham, Liverpool, Manchester, Leeds, Sunderland, Cardiff and Oxford where I believe this current tour is due to close at the end of December 2016. However if you unfortunately miss this tour of the classic Rocky Horror Show I will hasten to guess another one will shortly be around the corner for us all to enjoy once again. Remember, Don’t Dream It, Be It, get in touch please on Twitter @AaronBurgess89.

No comments:

Post a Comment