Tuesday 6 September 2016

That's Entertainment


Hello one and all. I am writing my blog review of That’s Entertainment which I saw with my Beez on 5th September 2016 at the Norwich Theatre Royal. I have two other reviews to catch up on, Pirates of Penzance at NTR and also a couple of weeks ago I was able to watch Sister Act at The Grand in Leeds starring Alexandra Burke. I have been so busy with various work, social and family events I just haven’t, unfortunately, got around to writing them, so keep an eye out. The next couple of months are going to be so busy both in my private, occupational and musical capacities so you might need to bear with me to get things to you. After a very lovely but apprehensive day speaking at an animal assisted therapy conference and networking day I arrived in Norwich a bit hot and sweaty to meet my Beez. But we had a lovely catch up over a pasta, wine and lemonade as last time we met I basically slept most of the time haha (we filmed Say Yes To The Dress and I had a gammy eye, so keep an eye out for me on the TV guys).
That’s Entertainment is a night of celebration and tribute to some of the biggest names in music and musical theatre from the 1940’s and 50’s as well as the Hollywood Musical. With hats off and honouring such talents as one of my favourite partnerships Rodgers and Hammerstein (mainly Carousel and South Pacific, shame there was no Sound of Music songs), George Gershwin, Cole Porter, Irving Berlin and Lerner and Loewe. The show includes some of the most wonderful music including The Trolley Song, Wash That Man Right Outa My Hair, There Is Nothing Like A Dame, Carousel Waltz, You’ll Never Walk Alone, Luck Be A Lady and Candyman. Not in the song list, Ruthie Henshall performed All That Jazz from Chicago and Some People from Gypsy which was amazingly musical and a right treat to see. There are so many song tributes I cannot write them all here although I do think a section was missing around the London Cockney songs and performances or did I totally miss and cannot remember it?
The tour has been joined by some special guests at each venue and Norwich Theatre Royal is doubly lucky having The Overtones and one of musical theatre’s pride and joy, the aforementioned Ruthie Henshall, who stays close to home performing in Norwich. Henshall is a multi-award winning actress and singer, being nominated 5 times for an Olivier, winning the 1994 Best Actress award in the revival of She Loves Me and has starred in some of the biggest shows in the West End and Broadway (including my favourite, Cats as many of the wonderful female feline characters including Grizabella). Recently Henshall has been performing as Mrs Wilkinson in Billy Elliot before it’s close and recording the live version that was streamed across cinemas all over the nation. Ruthie was fabulous in That’s Entertainment, although it would have been nice to see her in both Acts. We only saw Henshall in Act 2, stating she had forgot about a Monday evening performance and dashing up the A140 on a single carriageway meant she missed the first Act – is this true? The overtones for those that are not aware are a vocal harmony group, usually 5 of them; however this performance only saw 4 of them. I have to be honest I have not heard much from them before and I am not the biggest male vocal harmony group fan. However I have to say I was pleasantly impressed with the tones and vocals I heard from them, especially Darren from the group, me and Beez couldn’t keep our eyes off him (then we found out he is married, which ruined the evening J). The only cringe thing was the dated choreography of the Overtones; was this purposeful for the 40’s and 50’s or just dad dancing.
Other guests on the tour have included Jane McDonald and Elaine Smith. When these are not on stage the cast are formed by four main guys and gals and 8 chorus members. I have to say the lady leads (excluding Henshall of course) did not blow me away and cannot really remember their performances. However both the male leads, Simon Schofield and especially Sean Smith (known for appearing as duo Same Difference in the 4th season of the X factor finishing third), were fabulous and had amazing voices; would have been quite happy to listen to these guys singing again and hopefully will see them in a West End or touring musical soon as I really enjoyed their singing and stage presence.
The lighting is fabulous (Martin Perkins), despite a couple of lights going out in the show and really gives that Hollywood, Broadway, capital city vibe; with the lights circling the stage. The set design is great starting off with the Broadway billboards and theatre signs. The stage is complimented by an array of wonderful, musical, glitzy and glamourous costumes (although me Beez was not happy when she saw one of the feather dresses having a tear– she’s more critical than me honestly J). I have to say Innis King’s and Emma Rogers’ choreography is great for the main cast of That’s Entertainment, I love a bit of tap dancing and this was tappingly wonderful, I love the sound it creates which echoes around the auditorium.
That’s Entertainment is at Norwich Theatre Royal until Saturday 10th September, with daily evening performances at 7:30pm and a 2:30pm matinee tomorrow (7th) and Saturday. It’s a feel good evening (or day), especially if you’re a musical fan and you love some classic artists and songs and a show full of wonderful costumes and lovely tap dance. The show is very interactive and I was certainly clapping and singing along to many of the songs and dancing in my seat, apologise to the people sat behind me. I agree with Judy Foster of the NTR that this is a wonderful show with glorious costumes, fabulous dancing and wonderful music as she said in the original press release. And I do believe that this is the last stop of the tour so make sure you get to see it and support local lass Ruthie. Please get in touch at +Aaron Burgess or on Twitter @AaronBurgess89

No comments:

Post a Comment