Thursday 22 September 2016

The Go-Between, Apollo Theatre


I am finally on top of my reviews. I feel so very pleased with myself. Off to London Friday night for two more shows so I am sure I will be behind again by the weekend as starting a new job on Monday also. On Tuesday 20th September 2016 myself and Nanny Cora had booked to go see The Go-Between at The Apollo Theatre in the West End starring the magnificent Michael Crawford. We travelled down in the afternoon and Nanny Cora drove all the way to Cockfosters (on the M25) in her new automatic car, well done! We went for an Italian which was very nice and laughed about all the people around us, a woman who was rude, a man who was freezing, a strange little lady who was just strange, and all the usual things we get up to. We then strolled back over to The Apollo, a quaint little theatre on the most famous theatre street in the West End, Shaftsbury Avenue. The Apollo theatre is very tiny but adorable, it had the most fascinating ceiling which I thought was just gorgeous, a midnight scene, idyllic. We always end up sitting next to, behind or in front of the village weirdo, and this trip was no different. We had Snorty McSnorter behind us, not sure if he kept snoring or just snorting when laughing but it was very off putting and quite hilarious. Next to me we had a young gentleman who seemed to have a fake phallic shape thing in his hand that he clung to throughout the whole of Act 2; it was most distracting I have to say. Anyway we had a lovely time as always and despite a journey back that was filled with a 40-minute detour because of M25 road works we made it back all safe and sound.

The Go-Between is based on the novel by L P Hartley of the same name. I have to say I have not read the original book but I think I would very much enjoy it. It reminded me of a book I read during my English Literature A-level, ‘Spies’. The Go-Between is a nostalgic look back at a young lad’s three week holiday in Norfolk at a lovely stately home; close to the City of Norwich (me and Nanny Cora were very excited as we are from this area). Narrated by his older self, Leo looks back at how these three weeks would change his life forever and how he tried to forget but he just had to remember. He is interested in his friend Marcus’ older sister, Marian. He would do anything for her, including becoming a secret postman between her and her secret lover of a different class, Farmer Ted Burgess from the farm down the road (how funny he has the same surname as me). This secret love soon becomes problematic especially as her marriage has already been planned with someone of a more appropriate class. The story soon turns dark when things get out of hand and I do not want to spoil it for anyone any more than I need to. I absolutely loved the story; it was fresh and original and filled with themes of class and the past which I found thoroughly entertaining. The Go-Between has been adapted several times, which I would love to see, a recent film of 2015 starring Jim Broadbent, a 1971 film, a play, on the radio and now this musical adaptation. I am not sure how different the musical strays from the original book but I really enjoyed it.
Michael Crawford stars in this new musical, after returning to the West End after so many years. Crawford is a natural on the stage and it is a shame I never got to see him in his award winning roles as Phantom in Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Phantom of the Opera or in Barnum (Nanny Cora was lucky enough to see him in both of these roles). The role of Colston, the narrator and older Leo looking back on his life, is very different to Barnum or Phantom, an old gentleman, Crawford doesn’t miss a thing in his acting, shaking, croaky voice, he was magnificent. Although his singing may not be as good as when he belted out the Music of the Night, he has certainly still got it in my opinion. His voice was lovely to hear and the passion and emotion he shares on stage was beautiful to see. It was an honour to have seen Michael Crawford on a West End stage. Crawford is possibly most notable for his character of blunder buster Frank Spencer in Some Mothers Do Ave Em, Me and Nanny Cora definitely saw a few Spencerisms throughout this performance and why not, he is a classic.
Marian is played by Gemma Sutton, who I recently saw in Gypsy (June). How wonderful to see this talented young lady again, and in a very different role. It showed off her diversity in acting and singing. She has a wonderful voice and a gift for acting. When she raised her voice the hairs stood up on end, it was frightfully real. Ted Burgess is played by Stuart Ward and although he had a nice singing voice and a gorgeous body to see in swim shorts (it was great how he jumped off the back of the stage and it looked as if he was diving) his Norfolk farmer’s accent needs a lot of work. Many people may not have picked up on this but when you are East Anglian born and bred you pick up on the subtitles of a farmer’s accent.  The two little stars of the show were Samuel Menhinick playing Marcus and especially Johnny Evans-Hutchinson who plays young Leo. Menhinick was funny and so energetic but it was Evans-Hutchinson’s performance that I fell in love with. He has been in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and Les Miserable in the West End so he is no newbie, but his acting was great and his singing was emotionally adorable. He gave a great performance and he deserved the standing ovation.
The Go-Between, produced by Greene Light Stage and Bill Kenwright, has music and lyrics by Richard Taylor and book and lyrics by David Wood. Taylor’s music is heart-warming and so old British it was stunningly beautiful.  The choice to have one pianist on stage playing all the music for the 2 and a half hour performance was musical genius. It reminded me of being in a very posh champagne bar, I do not know the pianist’s name nor can I find it in the programme. If anyone knows and wishes to let me know please do so as he deserves some recognition, I loved it. The lyrics of Taylor and Wood were poetic. The Go-Between is not like a musical you will have seen or heard before. It reminded me of an operatic musical with the way the song lyrics tell and move the story on, although no one song sticks out unfortunately and there are words in between song. The score could be classed as samey but I felt this gave a constant to the performance. The way the music mixed with the words was poignant and definitely left me feeling emotional at the finale.
With direction from Roger Haines, Michael Pavelka is the designer and I loved the detailed simplicity of the set. With no more than a dozen chairs, an old chest and a piano with the Norfolk fields growing around them the scenery and set design was beautiful. It reminded me of Grandma’s Song in Billy Elliott as the cast move the chairs around the stage. It worked so well and this is why I say it was not like any musical you will have seen. There are no crazy set changes, new props every scene, but it works so well and adds to the chilly ending and the Downton Abbey – esque beginning.
The Go-Between, I do not feel, will live on as one of the best musicals of British history, but it definitely provided me with an evening of top class, professional entertainment and enabled me to see one of my favourite actors on stage, Michael Crawford. Although you may not leave the theatre singing and dancing as some West End performances leave you feeling, it certainly makes you think back to your childhood, remembering the innocence or not so innocent games and stories you played and said. It leaves you emotional and wanting more. It certainly has made me want to read the book anyway. The Go-Between is only at the Apollo until 15th October this year so there isn’t long to see it. I doubt the tickets have sold out as we were moved forward and central by The Apollo (thank you!) and there were empty seats. It is a wonderful show and is definitely worth seeing, if only just to see Crawford. I would love to know how other people feel about The Go-Between if you have seen it; please get in touch on Twitter at AaronBurgess89.

No comments:

Post a Comment