Wednesday 21 September 2016

The Pirates of Penzance, National G&S Opera Company


Again a long time in the writing but I hope well worth the wait. Following a lovely 1940’s themed party of my Nanny Cora’s 70th Birthday, part of her birthday treat was a trip to Norwich, totally a surprise of course. The morning began with a beautiful three-course meal at The Assembly House in Norwich. We have always said we would go here and when better to go then for my Nanny’s 70th birthday. It was a very posh experience and lovely food was consumed. The funniest part was the woman sat next to me on the adjacent table, who took the time it took us to eat our starter and main to get about half was through her chicken salad, poor woman. We will definitely be returning to The Assembly Room’s again, but this time I think for afternoon tea. I bought Nanny Cora tickets to see Pirates of Penzance, a classic Gilbert and Sullivan opera, this production being performed by the National Gilbert and Sullivan Opera Company at the Norwich Theatre Royal. I have always wanted to see Pirates because of the most famous song in it; I am the very model of a Modern Major General. I am not the biggest fan of opera and I stick firmly to what I know best, musicals, however it was a pleasant change and we both had a lovely time.
Pirates of Penzance tells the story of a group of pirates who come across a general and his many daughters, who they plan to run away with and marry, not at the lady’s will of course. When one of the pirates leaves the clan he falls in love with one of the lady’s; only to find out that he actually has to stay with the Pirate clan for another 30 years because he was born on the 29th of February and is only technically aged 8. The premiere of Pirates was in 1879 in New York and for anything to last nearly 150 years I think is a triumph to the creators. I think the likes of Gilbert (Libretto) and Sullivan (music) will live on forever as it is so cleverly made and produced, and with the national opera company of their name other classics will continue live on.  
Pirates is a comic opera and it is very funny. You have to be very attuned to the operatic style of language to understand all the jokes and me being half deaf this was not the easiest thing for me to listen and laugh along to. The modern major general is of course the classic comedic role in Pirates. In this production he is played by Richard Gaunlett, no stranger to the Norwich stage being a grand performer in the pantomime and I very much look forward to seeing him again this year. Gauntlett gives a flawless performance as the major and to sing the classic song which is probably one of the hardest songs to remember and perform lyrically, he does a bloody amazing job. The other classic role in Pirates, Sergeant of Police, is played by Bruce Graham, who has appeared in 8 West End shows, including two of my Lloyd Webber favourites Cats and Phantom. The classic song from this character, when a felon’s not engaged, was so funny. The whole audience sang and chortled along and it was a really lovely experience. Ruth is played by Pauline Birchall, and I thought she had the most wonderful voice; it was lovely to listen to. I loved the Sisters of Mabel who were really really funny; Edith played by Fiona Mackay, Kate played by Katie Grosset and Isabel played by Alexandra Hazard.
Although this was not a West End extravaganza, it was very enjoyable to see. The staging is very basic but I think that the case for most operas, I may be wrong as I don’t see that many. Or maybe the national opera company like to stick to originalities and I am guessing budgets and staging in 1879 were not like they are today. Saying that the costumes were fantastic, especially the ladies chorus and there was some beautiful choreography. And to sing operatically and dance is not an easy feat, I sound like a dying cat even when I just twirl and flounce while trying to belt out ‘memory’. I cannot say if or when I will see an opera again. I certainly enjoyed Pirates although it is sometimes difficult to understand what is being said. I don’t think the national Gilbert and Sullivan opera company are on tour currently but there will certainly be performances on next year, there are DVDs available on the Gilbert and Sullivan opera company website and lots lots more for any G&S fans. If you get a chance to see them on tour go for it, I can only comment on Pirates of Penzance but I do not doubt others such as The Mikado, The Sorcerer and The Yeomen of the guard would be just as good. And if it has lasted since 1879 it can’t be that bad can it. Please get in touch on Twitter at AaronBurgess89.

No comments:

Post a Comment